So Close (McAvoy/DeBrusk)

*Set after Game 7 of the 2018-19 Stanley Cup Final. Hurt/Comfort, soft (which is weird for me)*

So close. They were so close. After forcing a Game 7 with the Blues, the whole team could feel it. They were going to bring the cup back to Boston. But the thrumming excitement and adrenaline that pulsed alongside their heartbeats was no match for the exhaustion. The Playoffs were incredible, but also incredibly draining on the players. They all coped with it in their own way, and poured their blood sweat and tears into each game. They were so close...... But this year, St Louis wanted it more. 

After they payed their respects to the winning team, they all filed into the locker room as if in a trance. No one was ready to talk about it. Some of the guys were fighting off tears, holding it together until they could escape from the media and the raucous celebration they couldn't be a part of. Jake was never one to cry, but he could feel that tell tale lump begin to settle in the back of his throat as he collapsed into his stall. Cass kept his post-game talk short and, graciously,  restrained from making them feel even worse. Chara, despite his injured jaw, gave a short speech about how proud he was of them, how hard they fought, and the customary "We'll be back next year."

It seemed all to fall on deaf ears. A quick sweep of the locker room revealed what was to be expected after a crushing defeat- Rask was slumped in his stall with his face screwed up, staring at the ground like it was the reason they lost. The usually rowdy Marchy was silent, his head in his hands, the exhaustion making him look far older than 31. Bergeron stood solemnly by Chara, looking like he'd retreated within himself, eyes cast downward and shoulders tensed. Everyone else wore a variation of these looks- they looked like a sorry crew, with their now haggard playoff beards and dark circles around their eyes, their sunken cheeks and empty eyes.

Jake just sat in his stall for a while, as the others slowly made their way to the showers. He was just rousing the energy to start taking off his gear when he felt a presence sink down beside him. He glanced over to see Charlie, who looked liked he'd never be happy again. Despite the beard and the lines exhaustion and stress from the playoffs had worn into his face, he looked young, and vulnerable. Jake was only a year older, but felt an odd surge of protectiveness towards his teammate at the sight.

But now was not the time to talk. They needed to get on the bus soon. Jake sighed, and clapped Charlie on his leg as he stood to start undressing for the showers. Charlie was also still in his gear, and when he had still failed to move after Jake had stripped to his compression pants, he gave him a nudge.

"Come on, bud. Let's just go home." He spoke quietly, softly, and Charlie looked up at him with hollow eyes. He nodded though, and pushed himself off the bench. Jake helped him take off his pads, and they made their way over to the showers, passing by their sullen teammates in various states of undress. They showered and dressed quickly, their main prerogative getting back to the hotel and crashing. 

Jake was not looking forward to the bus ride, knowing they'd have to face the celebrating city and it's drunk-as-fuck fans. As soon as the bus left the arena, they could hear it- the cheers and yelling of fans outside the arena, partying and celebrating like there was no tomorrow. The bus itself was quiet, winding its way through the streets of St Louis, all of its passengers too dejected and exhausted to say a word.

When they arrived at the hotel, they filed off the bus in near silence, some short and quiet words being exchanged between players, and Jake found himself walking alongside Charlie despite sitting alone on the bus. They didn't talk, their shoulders occasionally brushing each other as they made their way to the elevator. Due to the number of people in St Louis for the Cup Final, all the hotels were booked tight, and the players were made to share. Charlie and Jake had decided to room together upon their arrival that morning, and as the elevator dinged at their floor, they made to get off together. Bergeron pulled Jake aside before he could disembark, and Charlie glanced at him before beginning to amble his way down down the hallway. 

"Hey, Jake. This feels like I'm asking a lot after.... that, but could you just keep an eye on McAvoy? I know you're working through stuff too- we all are- but.... I'm worried about him. Just, make sure he doesn't get too much in his head, ok?"

Jake nods, and says a quick goodnight to Bergy and the rest of the guys before starting down the hall after Charlie.

Charlie was already in the room when he got there, and when he entered he saw him face down on one of the beds. At the sounds of Jake rustling around, getting ready for bed, he flipped onto his side. 

"Jake?" He mumbled.

"Yeah, Chuck?" Jake turned from his suitcase to look at him.

"Do you ever think the team would be better off without you? I mean, not you specifically, obviously, but...."

Jake dropped his toothbrush on his bed and went over to Charlie's. Bergy was right- Charlie was even more not-okay than the rest of them.

"Hey, Chuck, hey.... What are you talking about? Everyone loves you! You work so hard, and you're an amazing player..."

Charlie doesn't seem to be listening. In fact, he seems to be getting more worked up about it, and tears start to well up in his eyes.

"I should've played better. The regular season, the playoffs, the finals.... I'm making a fool of myself. I should've just ended my season when I found out about the heart thing. God, what am I doing, Jake? I love hockey, but.... I feel like a disappointment, like the roster space could be used for someone better."

Jake was bowled over by the outburst. Charlie was by no means a disappointment- he was a very valuable member of their team. Him and Charlie were going to be leaders in the next generation of Bruins. Jake was stunned that Charlie was living with so much self-doubt. He seemed so.... normal. 

A sob broke Jake from his thoughts, and he realized he'd been staring blankly at Charlie with his mouth in an "o" for a solid minute or so. Tears were now steadily streaming down his face, and Jake wanted nothing more than to show him how valued he was. The best he could think of at the moment was crawling onto the bed beside Charlie, and just holding him while he sobbed.

He was effectively spooning him, and rubbing his shoulders, trying to calm his friend and teammate, offering murmured words of comfort. When the sobbing had settled to an occasional sniffle or sigh, he finally spoke.

"Charlie, I don't know where you got those ideas from, but they're wrong- so, so wrong. Hockey is so much more than the stats; and I know you know that, I just.... Charlie, you have this presence, on and off the ice, and you make everyone feel good about themselves. You're like, a less annoying and mean version of Marchy. You and me, we're going to bring this team back to the Cup. Chara, Bergy, all those guys.... they've only got a few years left. We're just getting started. We need you- I need you. We don't want someone with better stats or better... whatever it is you think you're lacking." 

He said his bit in a quiet but firm voice, and he felt Charlie's breaths start to even out as he relaxed against Jake's chest. His eyes were drooping, and Jake could feel his doing the same- the pull of sleep was becoming too much.

"We'll talk more in the morning. Just get some sleep, yeah?" He made to move over to his own bed, but Charlie turned and grabbed him.

"Could you just, like..... maybe sleep here tonight? Please?" Charlie wouldn't meet his eyes as he said it, and Jake melted a little.

"Yeah, of course." He settled back down and Charlie smiled weakly as his eyes started to flutter.

"Thanks Jake." He says, and he rolls a bot and plants a soft kiss right on Jake's lips. Jake doesn't have time to react before Charlie is rolling back over and falling fast asleep.

His hand drifts up to his mouth, fingers brushing over where Charlie had kissed him. He felt his stomach flutter, and the creep of a blush on the back of his neck, but decided to examine these strange feelings and that unexpected gesture in the morning. For now, sleep beckoned him.