Blending the Nectar

Blood was too expensive.

Especially at the beginning of the month when so many bills demanded payment. Rent and food bumped up against one another to jostle for first position. Food usually won out, more often than not. Today was no exception. So with a muffled sigh, Rhett glared over the counter at the smiling face of a new Cruorista at the mixing dispensary two blocks from his downtown apartment.

Rhett's bearded jaw was rigid. Mostly to stop himself from saying something too scathing about the ridiculous cost. This was one of the only places within walking distance that wasn't baby-handed with the booze in their blood blends.

The cluttered shop was full of shelves of smelly herbs and commercial grade tonics. Bottles of powders labeled in oddly cryptic warnings about stirring by the light of a full moon or only being swallowed by a virgin. Nestled alongside fizzy sodas and salty snacks, the store oozed Kitschy.

On the dark wood countertop sat three large bottles of a rich, handcrafted mix of strawberry cream liqueur. There were subtle copper tones in the combination that only Type O+ could possess.

"The price used to be $35 dollars a bottle," Rhett said in what he hoped was a conversational tone.

"It did," the young man agreed, quietly understanding. His bare hands splayed as he leaned over the counter and regarded Rhett with a flash of pearl- white teeth. "But you know commerce and capitalism. Everyone has to get their fangs into the profit."

There was a shy grin at the arch of Rhett's left eyebrow.

"Pardon the expression."

Rhett grunted as he handed over his credit card. The bottles were placed roughly into a thick paper bag as Rhett sensed the dark blue tattoo encircling his left wrist being scrutinized. Maybe if he moved fast enough he would be able to leave before the invasive questions started.

"Bet you get a lot of urging requests, huh?"

Then again, maybe not.

Internally, Rhett cringed, and then steadied the flow of irritation. Then he repeated a few times to himself that curiosity was perfectly normal. That this man, Thomas (from what his shiny nametag declared), probably would have never gotten into this line of work if he hadn't had some sort of deep fascination.

"Yes," Rhett said smoothly. "I do." He was already holding out his hand, palm up, to get his credit card back. Thomas seemed to be biding his time.

"I thought so," Thomas smirked, as if all of his birthday wishes were about to come true. "I know that being changed involves paperwork and a waiting list. Been on it for three months now. Had a girlfriend in college who was an Emoter like you. Oh my God, the things she could urge me to feel in bed...wild..."

Thomas' eyes went blissful at the haughty memories. Rhett scowled and hoped that next week Diana would be back behind the counter. Something about a vacation in the Bahamas? Guess that was worth the suffering Rhett was going through right now. Diana deserved a nice trip away.

"Could I please have my credit card back?"

Thomas blinked out of the hazy fog of his previous life with his probably equally sex-crazed ex girlfriend. It was in these times that Rhett was thankful that he couldn't legitimately read minds.

"So you can only do it if we ask, right?" Thomas rallied on as he handed Rhett back his card.

Rhett gave a curt nod. Christ, he missed Diana.

"And...you're willing to urge for more than just fun, I assume?"

Another quirk of Rhett's eyebrow, but this time there was a little more curiosity in it. Thomas smile got even bigger.