And Then There Were Us

Meg awoke in a groggy state, her brain pounding in her skull. Not to her own surprise Castiel wasn't here. No one was here. Where the hell was here anyway? Her leg was unbelievably sore, so she had a noticeable limp when she walked. 'Quick, find the door. how do you get out of this place?' She thought to herself. 'Okay. no windows. long hallways. I must be underground.'

   Meg looked up a staircase that lead to some kind of balcony or loft. She could see that the only thing up there was a door. It was a place to start at least. She struggled up the stairs and was halfway there when she heard wings flutter up behind her. "Where are you going?" There was that deep, rough voice again.

   "Clarence, go back to the clouds. I'm just getting fresh air." She was unable to turn around to face him. "You can barely walk, Meg." Before she knew it he was on the stairs next to her. "Castiel, I can take care of myself. Go play with your pets, wherever they are." He had cornered her against the railing now, and in the blink of an eye she was back on the couch. "I think it's time I explained to you what happened." He stated, expecting she was curious about it. "I'm more pissed than anything else, Clarence. So of you'd excuse me I'd like to go crawl into a ditch and starve to death." She said as she tried to get around him which didn't work. He blocked her way towards the stairs, getting a little too close for comfort. "Haven't the Winchesters taught you about personal space yet?" She was forced to step back and sit on the couch. "Well I suppose if you're gana play guard puppy with me, you might as well tell me what the hell is going on."

   Castiel proceeded to roll up her sweatpants to check the gauze. He must of decided it needed to be changed because he removed and replaced it with gauze that wasn't hard and stale with dry blood.

   "Hey, feathers." She snapped her fingers in front of him. "Stop teasing and get to the good stuff."

   He furrowed his brows and rolled the leg of her pants back down. "You should eat something."

   "I'm not doing anything until you tell me what the hell happened." Her words were bitter and cold.

   "You're human now."

   "I'm pretty sure we've covered that."

   "I was trying to save you. I thought you could help with the war. But when I found you, you were almost completely gone. Sam and I preformed a demon purification ritual to save your life."

   "And you didn't even bother getting my consent before you decided to fuck with me? Did.." She cleared her throat in frustration, her right hand brandishing. "Did you ever think that I'd rather just be dead? I can't be human." Meg stood from the couch and began searching for the kitchen. Castiel followed close behind her, and Meg let out another irritated groan. "I mean, I have no way of making money, which I now need for food and clothes and somewhere to stay."

   Violently, she opened the fridge when she found it. Grabbing a beer and chugging down half of it in less than a minute. Cas quickly took it away.

   "I couldn't bring myself to simply let you die, Meg. Believe it or not you have been helpful in the past. Though I can see in all likelihood you're not going to bother with helping us." He stated with slight disappointment. Meg choked a bit as she began to laugh hysterically. "You're damn right I'm not helping you. I couldn't if I wanted to now." She began raiding the fridge, finding a half eaten ham and cheese sandwich and scoffing it down. "Where did Batman and Robin go anyway? This is their crib, right? Because I'm telling you, Clarence, if this is your first place I'd start apartment hunting if I were you."

   He opened his mouth to respond but then closed it in the realization that her comment was sarcastic. "Dean disappeared and Sam recently left to search for him."

   oddly enough, Meg ate everything on the sandwich except for the crust. Castiel observed her as she finished. "Is there something on my face, feathers?" She asked when she noticed him watching such a common thing as eating. "You didn't eat the crust." He stated plainly. Meg's hand came down on the table. 'Why does an Angel of the Lord have to be so incompetent to something so simple?'  Were her only thoughts as she glared him down. "FYI, Clarence, some people don't like the crust on their sandwiches. You've been especially irritating today, ya know that?"

   He took a slight step back. "I'm observing. You're human behavior is different from the Winchesters."

   She tilted her head in false concern, pouting her bottom lip a bit. "Is it the hormone thing?" She asked sarcastically, jumping up to sit on the counter. As she did so her bandage caught on the corner of the wood, tearing it off half way and causing the wound to bleed again. Castiel was just about to answer when he heard her small yelp and saw the blood slowly seeping through her clothing.

   "Damn." She mumbled as she sloppily rolled up the sweatpants to reveal the bleeding bullet wound.

   Castiel was already running a washcloth under the sink, bringing it over to her and cleaning the blood from her leg. "You know if this whole angel thing doesn't work out, I think school nurse is right up your alleyway." She joked. A small smile drew across his face at that comment. "Stay as still as you can for this." He told her as her as his hand went to rest over the wound. "What are you..." She was interrupted as his hand began to glow a bright white, warmth spread through her leg from that point on. It even tingled slightly. A moment later when he removed his hand the bullet hole was gone, leaving a small scar. He let out an exhausted sigh as if it had hurt him. "You okay, Clarence?" She asked with worry. It was something she hadn't often experienced before. "It's not of your concern." He stood up straight. The worry in the back of Megs head grew. "What did you say about you're grace, before?" "You have enough on your mind right now. And in fact, it's actually quite late. You should rest."

   She arched an eyebrow. "I know I've come off as a heartless bitch. I have emotions now. And believe it or not I am concerned."

   He furrowed his brows. "There's a room made up for you. Down the corridor, fifth door to the left." He informed her, avoiding the topic. He never really was good with the whole emotions thing.

   Meg sighed in frustration. "Fine. But if I wake up and you're stalking over me, there will be hell to pay." Her voice was dead serious, but she still looked at him with sympathetic and caring eyes. It was unfamiliar to Castiel and he didn't quite know what to make of it.

   Before he knew it, Meg was cautiously leaning towards him before her lips met his. She didn't know why she was doing this. Worst comes to worse he kicks her out. Castiel almost pulled away from her. He didn't realize how tender she could be. Or anyone for that matter. And before he knew it his hand was cupping her cheek. He did what felt natural at the time. Cas finally pulled away when her tongue brushed over his teeth. He had that doe eyed confused look in his eyes and Meg remembered he hadn't kissed many people.

   "Goodnight, Castiel." She said nervously after clearing her throat.

   After rolling down the leg of her sweatpants, she hopped down from the table and headed off down the corridor to find her room. Castiel was left in the kitchen, his fingers tracing over his lips as he recapped the events that had just taken place.