I see

All Robert could think about was losing downton and having to move to...Eryhome or whatever it was called. And it was all his fault.

They were going to visit today, Matthew had explained to him the situation of the will, he also knew that it was on Mary's mind constantly, she had spent her whole life in this house and it would be hers one day when Matthew inherited.

Matthew had read the letter over and over again, he knew it wasn't possible that it was true.

If what Mr swire wrote about him knowing that Lavinia had let him go but admired him for staying with her then downton was saved, but Lavinia would  have to have written a letter to her father on the day she died.....

"What do you mean you read it?" Matthew questioned in shock

"Matthew, if Lavinia did write to him on the day she died then downton is saved!" Mary replied with the letter in her hand

"Are you sure you didn't write it" Matthew shot trying to understand

Mary was devastated that Matthew thought she would fake a letter to save downton, she wanted to save it, but her own husband didn't trust her!

Mary cried herself to sleep that night after Matthew decided to sleep in his dressing room.

Almost out nowhere Edith announced that she was getting married in two weeks to Anthony strallen. He was old enough to be her father and he had lost use of his arm in the war, but if Edith didn't marry soon, people would assume there was something wrong.

Sybil had written sweetly to say that she was pregnant and that her and Tom were coming for the wedding and also just to see everyone, it had been forever since they last saw them, apart for Matthew and Mary's wedding.

Mary sighed as she stared out of the grand window longingly and sadly.
She would just have to prove herself.

Mary went down to the servants hall to carry out her mission.
The servants dutifully stood when they saw her enter.
"I'm terribly sorry for interrupting your breakfast, but Mr Crawley and I have discovered that the late miss swire may have sent a letter on the day she died, we were wondering if any of you posted it for her" she partially lied when she included that Matthew wanted to know.

They all looked blank and Carson said that something that important would have been reported to Mrs Hughes or him.
Mary began to walk back upstairs slowly before she heard daisy vaguely.
"What was that about?" Daisy asked
"Lady Mary wanted to know if anyone had posted a letter for miss swire" Anna explained
"Oh I did that" daisy admitted, she had been out of the room at first
"Oh thank you daisy, Mr Crawley will be so pleased" she smiled when she heard

Mary couldn't help herself smiling for the rest of the day, it happened to be Edith's wedding the next day...

Mary walked into her and Matthew's room to talk to him excitedly.
"You look marvellous!" Matthew complimented her pastel blue, floral dress.
"I feel marvellous! Lavinia did wrote to her father on the day she died, daisy posted it, the kitchen maid" Mary announced excitedly

"...i see....." Matthew said quietly, running his fingers through his hair and smiling

"Do you? My darling! Because if you find one more reason not to accept the money, I shall have to hit you about the head!" Mary smiled

Matthew laughed at her.
"I see" Matthew says confidently

"Oh my darling this is so perfect" Mary exclaimed with a smile on her face and feeling endlessly happy that they wouldn't have to leave.

Edith's wedding day was quite the whirlwind to start with, Matthew had made her promise not to tell anyone until Edith was off on honeymoon so they could all celebrate properly.

Everyone arrived on time which was a bonus although the sisters got a little sidetracked when the photographer struggled to take the photograph, but luck  prevailed and Sybil and Mary rushed to their seats.

Anthony looked increasingly nervous, everyone knew that Robert and granny didn't completely approve of Edith marrying  'a cripple' .
For once, Mary just wanted Edith to be happy with whoever she saw fit, however she would always secretly think Matthew was miles better, miles more perfect.

Edith glided elegantly down the aisle with Robert.
Anthony continued to shake nervously.
Edith glowed happily, this was what she had always wanted.

Mary sunk into Matthew's shoulder, she didn't care if it wasn't proper, it reminded her of the best day of her life.

Then all of a sudden everything went down hill. Anthony had stopped the bishop.
"I can't do this, I can't let you throw your life away" he shuttered to Edith
He continued towards Robert
"You don't think it's a good idea, you told me so yourself.."
Edith was breaking down in front of everyone.
"I can't..i can't let you go...no" Edith cried
Anthony left for his house and Edith rushed out of the door all the way back to downton.
Edith ran up the stairs and pulled her veil off before chucking it back down the stairs, by that time Cora and the girls had arrived to go after Edith.

They found her lying on her bed, sobbing.
Mary and Sybil stood not knowing what to do as their mother very carefully comforted Edith.
Edith sat up and stared at her sisters.

"Just look at them, both with their accepted husbands.....Sybil pregnant......Mary probably pregnant, just go!" she accused spikely.

Sybil and Mary left quietly.
Mary went to Matthew and thought about just how lucky they had been.
"Tell papa now, we all need something to cheer us up" Mary said quietly
"I'll be back soon, love you" Matthew exited

"We will just have to hold her hand until she recovers, which she will, be we also have to think more about moving to Eryhome..." Robert admitted to Matthew as they stood in the pleasant spring weather outside.
"No, we don't....have to move i mean. I am going to accept the money, and I will give it to you" Matthew assured
"Are you sure? I mean I know you are because you wouldn't say it otherwise, but on one condition, you take a part in the estate, it will be yours as much as mine" Robert said
"You can't do that" Matthew pleaded
"I can and I will, and if you don't accept, we will move and I will personally tell everyone it was your fault, including your wife.." Robert laughed
Matthew laughed at himself and gave into Robert's teasing.
The beginning of a new era.