Part One: The Seven Wonders

I wake up to the sound of pounding footsteps in the hallway and cries in the upper level. I sigh deeply. "Goodbye, Helena." I get up from my bed to see that I have been unclothed almost completely. I'm wearing nothing but underwear and socks. "What the hell?"

I make my way over to my dresser to find clothes on a hanger with a note attached:

WEAR THIS IN HONOUR OF THE DEATH OF OUR REIGNING SUPREME. WE WILL HOLD OFF THE SEVEN WONDERS TEST UNTIL AFTER THE FUNERAL

A black, velvet button up, a pair of black skinny jeans, and a pair of black high-top sneakers.

I slip on the clothing and fix my hair in my mirror. I walk downstairs to find the other four potential Supremes and the council waiting for me in the living room.

"You missed Helena's funeral, George," says Catarina. My jaw drops from guilt.

"Let the Seven Wonders of Witchcraft test begin!" shouts Theodore, clearly ignoring my grief. "First: Telekinesis." A table is brought out with five objects laying on it. "Each of you must obtain your object using only your mind." All five of us give each other a securing look. "Who would like to go first?" asks Theodore.

"I would!" Anastasia says almost instantly.

"Pick your object," says Theodore.

Deciding to choose the porcelain unicorn, Anastasia studies the object. And just like that, it slides across the table. She cheers joyfully and hops up and down, crying out shrieks of happiness. "Who's next?" she asks.

Dave, the only other warlock at the academy, steps up to the plate. Dave has always been picked on for being scrawny and insecure, until word got out that he could be the next Supreme. He has been working himself up since then. I honestly believe that he has his hopes and dreams riding on his potential Supremacy.

"I'm gonna choose..." He looks at the remaining items on the table. "This one," he says, deciding on the table lamp.

Gazing at the lamp, Dave receives it instantly without any trouble. He looks at me and says, "You're next."

I can tell that Dave is trying to make this a competition and it honestly won't get him anywhere. I accept his little challenge and choose the fifty-pound weight.

I take a deep breath and observe the weight carefully. I still feel the burden of missing Helena's funeral on my shoulders. Ultimately, I put that to the side and transport the weight into my hand. I flaunt the weight proudly in Dave's face and laugh. "Nice try, Dave." He gives a low growl as I continue laughing.

The next up is a girl named Sierra, a nobody-turned-somebody since the rumours of the potential Supremacy arose. She approaches the table and successfully slides a briefcase across.

Last is Celeste, who is no stranger to the Seven Wonders. She has been trying to be crowned Supreme for the last two years. Celeste is left with the final object, a jar of olives, which she effortlessly obtains faster than any of us.

"Good!" says Catarina. "Let us move on." We are taken to the side yard where a collection of five dummies are lined up about twenty-five feet in front of where we're standing. Each of them dressed as one of us. "Pyrokinesis. Each of you must light the dummy of your choosing on fire. Good luck to you, my students."

Celeste does not hesitate to set the Anastasia-look-alike on fire.

"I take it that she doesn't like you," I whisper to Ana.

"Yeah, but she'll have to get over it since I'm gonna be the next Supreme." Ana then lights Celeste's dummy on fire. She looks at Celeste. "It's a good look for you. You should try it sometime." Celeste rolls her eyes at Anastasia as she walks away.