#2.Preface

It's not like we can manage to stop. Believe me when I say we've tried. But it's just hard. We weren't just friends and we knew that. So did our parents along with everybody else.

We've been inseparable since first grade, though we despised each other in kindergarten. It went as far as cutting each others hair. It's ridiculous how good things never last.

Our parents promised us that this wouldn't be the end. Only three years and they'll move back here again.

It seems to me that this is going to be easier for everyone else. I know it'll hurt them but I also know that the new environment will help them forget.

I'm the one stuck here. I'm the one that'll walk around with constant reminders of our epic childhood. I'm the one that'll be all alone, 'cause I'm the one that's socially awkward. I can't help but feel sorry for myself.

Cassie seeming to notice my teary eyes moves closer to me and wraps her arms around me. She's always been the motherly character of the three of us. God knows I'm going to miss her so much.

"It's okay. It'll be over before you know it. Plus it's not like we'll lose touch, right?" She says looking between Becky and I.

Becky has always been the notorious one. She came up with all the crazy things we did to get famous around here. She's always been the mastermind behind all our pranks and crazy stunts.

"I have an idea." Becky's voice is a bit rough from all the crying we've done for the past couple of hours. "How about we make a plan?" She makes this offer with that mischievous glint in her eyes. Knowing her, this was unmistakably going to end us up in trouble.

"Not now B," Cass is quick to turn her down.

"No. Here me out. It's not bad. I promise." Becky never being one to take no for an answer continues. "How about we don't contact each other at all for the next three years? How about we make a solid plan for the next time we see each other instead?" She offers. Again, Cass is quick to protest.

"B, you can't be serious! You two are more than just my best friends. You're like the sisters I'll never have. And you want me to not to talk to you for the next three years?" You can here the hurt in her voice.

"She has a point. Againts me or with me, you're all I've ever known." I add. Jesus, my voice sounds bad.

"Exactly. This is a perfect opportunity for us to grow as individuals. I love you guys. You know that, but there's a bigger world out there for us to explore." Becky adds.

What!?

"What are you talking about B?" Cass voices my confusion.

"Okay. Let's get real for a second," Becky inhales deeply then exhales before she continues. "I've been doing some research on this 'long distance friendship' thing." Becky always talks with her hands flying everywhere and air quotes are her thing.

"Okay?" Cass promotes sounding wary.

"So there's like only a three percent chance of this being able to work. People just get different problems in different places and have different people to deal with and all that. The point is that they change and ninty seven percent of them fail when it comes to reuniting with their former friends." Becky keeps staring at her hand on her lap as she said this.

I watch helplessly as a tear escapes and moves down her cheek. She sniffs and moves her hand to her cheek to wipe it away.

"That won't happen to us." Cass says in an attempt to assure us, but we know her well enough to know that she doubts her own words.

"I don't want that to happen to us." Becky continues. "So my plan is for us to pledge to meet each other and at least give it a shot then. If this," she says moving her arms between the three of us, gesturing to our bond, "really means something to us by then, the least we can do is try and see it through."

"What if we change so much that we can't stand each other?" Cass asks. You can tell she hates the idea from the tone of her voice.

I rest my hand on her shoulder and chuckle despite the circumstance. "Then it won't be the first time." I tell her and hear Becky snort, making Cass smile.

I clear my throat and compose myself before I speak again. "You guys are leaving. Like it or not, there isn't anything we can do about it. Sure it's going to be hard and it's going to suck but we got this." Jesus, this is harder than I thought.

"I don't doubt that we're going to change. I don't know if you've been studying chemistry lately but our book say that the only permanent thing in this world is change. I'd like to believe that we're wise enough not to change into people we don't recognize." I sniff at the and of my weird speech.

"Leave it to you to bring chemistry into moments like this." Becky says shaking her head while laughing lightly.

"Right! And when did you get so deep. It's like your changing already. I feel so proud. Our baby girl is growing up!" Cass adds dramatically. It's not what she says that makes us laugh. It's her horrid acting skills. She can't act to save her life.

We laugh an tease each other for a while, almost forgetting that we were about to be miles apart within a few hours. It is nice.

"So what's the plan?" Cass asks after a while. This is her way of showing her agreement.

"Well, feel free to correct or add. I haven't really thought this through but I think Ariel needs to go to a different school." Becky informs us.

"Why?" I ask.

"She's right. You can't be there by your self. Make friends in a different environment." Cass tells me.

"Different environment? It's just a different school. I'll still be coming back here. Everything is practically going to be the same."

"Yeah, but school is where you spend most of your time so..." She shrugs it off as if it's a typical thing.

"Anyway," Becky gains back our attention and proceed with explaining the rest of her plan. We agree to most of it. Cass made a few changes here and there till it was a done deal. By the end of it all, I was a bit sad but also excited.

Few hours later we were at the airport with our parents. Surprisingly we didn't cry. We said bye to each others families and all to soon we were separated for the next three years.