Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

          Neville waves his hand for me to come closer to him, and I have to look carefully at the floor to avoid stepping on his toes in this darkness. I follow close behind him as we head in the opposite direction from Luna and Ginny.

          My skin crawls when the door to the punishment room comes into view, recalling my first detention. I’ve managed to push it out of my mind for a while now, but being here now is like reliving the whole night over again. I feel my fingers resume their nervous shaking.

          Neville stops in front of the door, and I have to put my hands up quickly to keep from crashing into his back. I see the outline of his arm as he reaches into his pocket to pull his wand out. He whispers, “Alohamora.”

          Nothing happens. I don’t hear the familiar click of the lock, so I watch as Neville reaches out and tugs the handle gently. It’s still locked—how is that even possible?

          He turns to me, and even in this darkness I can see how panicked he is. “What do we do?” Neville breathes.

          “Move over,” I say quietly and push Neville to the side. I crouch down before the door and pull a hairpin from my hair, my side bangs falling forward into my eyes. Taking a deep breath, I stick the pin into the lock. I’ve only seen this happen in some Muggle movie Katherine made me watch a few years ago, so I just have to pray it’s going to work.

          I must spend five whole minutes bent over like an idiot in front of the door, but after what seems like an eternity, the lock gives a satisfying click. Pulling the now crooked pin out, I reach up and turn the handle tentatively.

          The door opens, and Neville pats my shoulder with gratitude. I stand back and step away from the doorway, not even wanting to look inside. Neville gives me a thankful smile, then walks quickly inside the room.

          I pull the door towards me slowly until it shuts with another soft click, trying to be as quiet as possible. I turn around and glance up the hallway, then down it. We should have taken much less time with getting Neville inside, so I’m hoping Ginny and Luna aren’t getting worried. I sincerely hope the Carrows are still sound asleep.

          I reach up and chew nervously on my thumbnail, something I haven’t down since I was little. Come on Neville, hurry up. Being out here in the dark, silent hallway all by myself is just making me more and more terrified. What the hell is taking him so long?

          The echo of footsteps coming from the hallway to the left makes my heart stop inside my chest. My head snaps around, and sure enough, I can see someone’s shadow reflecting against the far wall. Someone’s coming down the stairs, and they’ll turn the corner and see me any second now.

          I could kid myself and say that it’s Ginny or Luna coming to see what’s taking so long, but I’m not stupid enough to take that chance. Ducking my head low, I tiptoe as fast as I can to the nearest stairwell on the right. I automatically press my body against the stone wall as soon as I’ve rounded the corner and hold my breath.

          The footsteps get closer, but then they stop. As my heart hammers impossibly fast, I hear the jangling of keys and a soft, deep humming.

          Shit.

          I close my eyes for a moment, trying to calm myself down. Attempting to stop the raging internal battle I’m currently having, I take a deep breath and open my eyes. I hear the key being inserted into the lock.

          Before I can change my mind, I step back out into the hallway. My head spins when I see Amycus Carrow bent in front of the punishment room door, and my breathing rate threatens to go into hyperventilation. I see his fingers reaching for the door, and the handle starts to turn.