Hour Three

He excitedly pulled her onto the train, with her reluctantly being pulled along. They got off at the next station to run up to the street above. He grabbed her hand and intertwined their fingers. Preventing separation on the busy street. Small and warm, his large hands enveloped her small and feverish hands. In some way, he felt as though he was holding something valuable, like a porcelain doll.

He pulled her through the crowds and pulled her up to one of the vendor carts. She glanced at the grimy trailer with trepidation.

As they waited for their turn in line, he spun to face her. Studying her appearance, he scolded himself for not taking her outfit into consideration. Her once combed back hair was falling around her in tendrils. Her cheeks flushed with heat.

She watched him with wary confusion. "What?"

"You look like a mess," he stated with humor.

She rolled her eyes at him, "well, what did you expect when you drag me through the streets like a maniac? A perfectly styled fashion model?"

"You make a fair point."

He turned back towards the cart when the line began to move again. From the corner of his eye, Alister could see her rolling up the sleeves of her red sweater. Leaving the sleeves barely above her elbows.

Snapping him out of his trance, she placed her hands on her hips while looking at the cart. "This doesn't seem sanitary," she stated skeptically.

He leaned towards her to explain, "it is, he has a certification and a health inspection sticker. He's legit." She nodded her head with an unconvinced expression dancing across her features. He couldn't help himself as he leaned towards her ear more. "In two-thousand-five."

She whipped her head towards him to see his wide grin. She scoffed and smacked his arm as he laughed. As his laughter died down, he saw her smiling softly. A warm feeling moved through his chest at the evidence of her sliver of happiness. it wasn't just him having a fun night out anymore.

The line moved forwards, bringing the two of them to the cart. Alister looked up as the vendor wrote something on the writing pad. When the vendor turned towards the customers, a large smile bloomed on the man's face.

"Alister!" the man exclaimed holding his arms out wide. He made his way out of the truck and towards Alister. The man patted his shoulder in a fatherly kind of greeting. "What you doing here? Trial go well?"

Alister sucked in a breath through his teeth in regret. "Sorry Sully, no dice."

Sully's face fell in disappointed. "I am sorry my friend. But why you here?" Sully was a large Italian man. Wearing a grease-stained apron that almost fit around his large pot belly. Dark stubble wrapped around his cheeks and chin like an unraveled scarf.

"We're here to cash in that favor, two of your special please," Alister said.

Sully looked confused for a second until he turned to Alister's side to see a girl. Sully brightened when he saw her.

"Ah! A girl!" Sully exclaimed. He waggled his finger at the two of them before scrambling to get back in the cart, it moving underneath his weight.

She looked to Alister, and he shrugged. "He's like this, but he's never been this excited to see me before." They stayed by the door of the truck and waited for Sully to come out.

The door swung open, making her jump and moving closer towards Alister. Alister raised his eyebrows with a miniscule grin at her reaction. She may not have known it, but she was beginning to trust him and he was happy to see it.

Out of the cart came a grinning Sully with two boxes balancing on one hand and two forks clenched in his other. Sully handed Alister the container and plastic wear before turning to her.

"Ah! Bella," he cooed, grabbing her shoulders and kissing each cheek.

Alister grinned at the two of them as Sully pulled her into one of his Papa Bear hugs. Her arms pinned to her sides as she glanced at Alister over Sully's shoulder.

Sully let her down gently and held her shoulders again, "come any time!" He exclaimed with a loud voice and a large grin.

She smiled a warm smile, realizing that Sully was harmless.

Alister's chest warmed at the sight of it. This girl was affecting him so much, maybe this wasn't such a great idea.

"Thanks, Sully. I owe you one," Alister said. He turned to her, "you ready, Sunshine?"

She nodded and moved towards him, waving goodbye at a joyful man. Sully chuckled to himself as he entered the truck to help with the wild dinner rush.

She turned and followed Alister, studying her surroundings. People walked towards destinations the two of them would never know. Thinking things they would not understand. Other people were scrambling for the train or a taxi. Or they were looking at different food vendors or considering a new restaurant. Looking for something new or something they know and trust.

Alister could sympathize with going with something you know you like. Sticking with the norm. He watched his captive look around the concrete park. Wonderment as if from a child with a new toy. He couldn't imagine anything other than trying something new. At least, new with her.

Stop it, he thought to himself. She's a stranger who won't matter after tonight.

He grabbed her hand and pulled her over to one of the rock piles on a small stretch of grass and sat. She followed suit, being careful to keep her mini skirt in a non-revealing position.

Grabbing the boxes and a fork they dug into their dinner. From the corner of his eye, he could see her long-sleeved sweater kept getting into the pasta.

Alister set down his container, "here." He held out a hand for the box which she gave him, still chewing on the bite she took.

Alister grabbed her sleeves and ripped them up to the shoulder.

"Hey!" She exclaimed.

"What, did you want to keep running around in a long-sleeve?" He asked her.

She let out an irritated huff, "well no. But this was a nice sweater."

Alister smiled, "well now it's even cooler."

"Was that a pun?" She asked cynically.

"An unintentional one."

"Intentional or not it was awful," she commented.

Alister laughed a big roaring laugh. "You're blunt, good to know."

When they finished eating Alister threw away their trash. He walked back to their perch before walking back to their perch.

"Where to next, oh leader of activities?" Alister asked.

She thought for a moment before shrugging, "I don't know, where do you usually go at night for fun?"

A mischievous grin spread across his face. "I've got it, but don't say I didn't warn you."

He grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards the train again. They got on and got off on the sketchy side of town.