Looping Colors

White.

Yellow.

Green.

Blue.

Colors that have been on repeat in my head ever since I woke up. Why? I don't know. All I know is that those are the only things I can remember. Colors.

The room I've woken up in is white and scarcely crowded with furniture. I'm sitting up in a clean white bed with a white bedside table and wide window to my left. A door sits across from me at the other side of the room, but my legs are too weak to get up and see where it leads. Another thing that mystifies me. Perhaps I've been in this bed too long, although I'm oblivious to the reason behind that as well. But I'm forced to stay put and stare at the door as it taunts me.

Aside from the taunting door and glaring white, the only nice feature about the room is the bouquet of violets sitting in a glass vase on the bedside table. A beautiful stain of color amongst a plain white sheet.

I'd say it's the only color in the room but if I count myself and the scenery outside the window I'd get more.

I'm dressed in a plain hospital gown the same white as the rest of the room. My hair is a curly dark brown, and my skin a light brown. I must be mixed, but I can't see what I look like nor remember. I'm sure if I had a mirror I might.

The window looks out over a wide blue sea reflecting a light blue, cloud covered sky. I assume I'm on a top floor of a building because I can't see what's directly below me.

I hear nothing. No noises from outside. It's as if I'm the only one here, which I know isn't true. Earlier I was visited by a man who had brought me breakfast. He wore a white nurse scrub which made me wonder if I was in a hospital.

I tried to ask him questions but he dismissed them as if he hadn't heard me at all. He only asked me what I remembered, and after I told him he told me to eat and left. I assumed he'd be back for the dishes which I've left on the floor beside my bed.

When he'd opened the door I tried to see passed him, but all I saw was white. Plain white.

Where was I?

Why was I here?

These questions and many more had plagued my head at first, but I've learned to ignore them for now. Better to wait for the answers to come to me than drive myself mad.

The only thing I let bother me are the four colors that I remember. White, yellow, green, and blue.

At first I thought the white was a memory of this room. But no matter how hard I tried to believe that nothing about it was familiar. As for the other colors, another dead end.

The window opens throwing me out of my thoughts as a boy climbs through and into the room.

I'm speechless and shocked at his arrival. Especially at his choice of entrance. He must have climbed quite a ways to get up here. But how did he climb up here? And why? Wasn't it dangerous? A chill ran down my spine. What if he was an imposter trying to break in? Should I scream or call for help? Would someone come? The man from earlier wasn't much help before.

The boy sees I'm in a panic and his face becomes soft as he speaks to me in a gentle voice.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to hurt you," he says.

He looks my age (although I don't remember what age that is) and is wearing the same hospital gown as me, only his is blue. He must be a patient here like me, which makes me feel a little more comfortable. It's apparent that he's a very energetic and fit one if he could scale a building this high.