Chapter 37 - EYES MEET

Start from the beginning

"Dad?" I called for another person that I could think of, who matched the voice that I heard, talking to me.

"Yes Rosé, it's dad"

He sounded nervous but still had a little of joy in his tone. A beeping sound followed shortly after, sounding like some kind of alarm just above my head, and it was making my head hurt even more.

"I ca-can't see," I stuttered as I forced myself to talk louder. "Dad..."

"Wait for a second, okay honey? I already called the nurse"

"Can't see-"

"You have eye patches on, Rosé" Dad finally told me something I desperately needed to hear to ease the panic in me. "It's alright, everything is fine"

I heard footsteps running since they were getting closer and louder, and they stopped beside me.

"Madam?" A foreign voice entered my ears while feeling a few taps on my right shoulder.

"Y-yes?"

"I'm Doctor Ellen. Can you tell me your full name?"

I swallowed my throat as the dryness was getting stronger. "Ro-Roseanne Pearce"

"Do you know where you are?"

"Hospital"

I heard the same voice again, but this time it sounded like it was whispering to someone else, who was probably in the same room as us. "Level of consciousness, normal"

"Madam, could you please open your mouth?"

I did what she asked me to, slowly.

"Can you lift your right hand?"

I tried to but not as a whole. I could only lift it by my wrist, and I did the same thing when she asked about my left hand.

"Cognitive, normal" She whispered again and I felt a small, light object was pressed against my chest.

It moved to several places for seconds while I stayed still, feeling the aching in my joints and muscles.

"Breathing, normal"

She talked again.

"Madam, what are you feeling right now? Are you nervous?"

I could tell that the question was for me, so I opened my mouth again.

"I'm scared" I responded with only truth along my tongue. Honestly, I was also scared at that time.

"Your heart rate is a little fast, madam. I need you to relax"

"I can't see anything"

"Everything is fine, madam. You just woke up from your cornea transplant procedure. Do you remember anything about it?"

"Yes, doctor" I answered shortly.

"There could be some anaesthesia left. So it could make you feel uncomfortable around your eyes. We also put eye patches on to block any light from entering. Your eyes are very sensitive right now"

I nodded as I listened to her about things that I already knew even before the procedure was done. I was just panic earlier upon waking up until I couldn't think straight.

"Nurse, turn off all the lights and open up the curtain"

I breathed out as I was getting calmer than before. I was still nervous though but I knew that I had a doctor with me, explaining and guiding, which made this process a lot easier for me. She helped me to get up, asking me to rest my body against the back rest and I could finally move better than before.