Last of the American Girls Part 4

4.

I woke up in at 11 and took a shower. I had no plans today and all I wanted to do was be with Claire. I called her to see what she was doing. She answered immediately it sounded like she was mad. “Hello.” She said. “Hey Claire. Are you busy?” I asked. “No why?” she said. “oh I was wondering if you wanted to do something in an hour?” “oh sounds good. What did you have in mind?” “How bout we get lunch?” I said. I wanted to take her someplace nice. “okay. Cool.” I told her the place and we’d meet there in an hour. We hung up the phone and I got ready.

An hour past and I was in front of Casa Blancas. I checked my watch. It was fifteen minutes passed and she wasn’t here yet. I was beginning to get worried. What if something happened to her? I called her phone and she didn’t answer. I sent her multiple texts and there was no reply. I stood there for an hour and decided to leave. I can’t believe she stood me up. I felt depressed. Maybe she had a valid reason. I stayed optimistic. Maybe she had a family emergency. I’ll just give her time. I sighed and turned up the radio to drown my thoughts. Last of the American girls was playing and it reminded me of Claire. She was the last of the American girls. She was so different then the girls here. That’s why I fell for her. And she was a wonderful artist.

I was home now and I went straight to my room. I wasn’t hungry any more. Being stood up was a crappy feeling. I just stayed in bed and drew. I drew different things. I hope Claire was okay. I sighed. I decided to let it drop for now and get something  to eat. I found myself at Genki. I sat there on the counter, watching the sushi pass by. I ordered several plates and ate in silence. I heard a familiar laugh and looked up. It was Claire. She was with someone. I couldn’t see from this angle. I stood up and walked to the booth she was sitting at. I saw that she was sitting with a guy. “hey Claire.” I said. What if she stood me up for this guy. Whoever he was. Her smiled drop. “oh my gosh. Austin I’m so sorry I forgot about our date.” She said. I was furious. “nah it’s alright. I only waited an hour outside of Casa Blancas.” I said exasperated. “Austin i-“ she began but I didn’t want to hear it. “no save it Claire.” I said and walked out. 

I couldn’t believe this. I walked to my truck and slammed the door once I was in. I drove home to my room. I blasted AAR’s Gives You Hell. I reached home and went to my room and drowned out the world with my music. So maybe I overreacted. I wasn’t gonna let this happen to me. It always did. When I was vulnerable, bam! Someone sneaks behind me and trips me. It happened a lot. I fell for girls and they ended up breaking my heart because I was too vulnerable. Not this time. No. I couldn’t go through that again. I sighed.

Claire called and texted me but I didn’t read or call her back. I didn’t want to talk to her right now. I just couldn’t.

A week passed and the calling and texting subsided. I didn’t go to the library or Music Macs cause I didn’t want to run into her. I just had to forget about her. I was home. I spent the week at home. I went to school and straight home. As I walked to the front door, I stepped on an envelope. It had my name on it. I opened it and read it. It said: Austin. I know I shouldn’t have stood you up, but it wasn’t intentionally. I swear. If you would see me and let me explain, maybe we could fix things. Please. –Claire.

I crumpled the paper. Should I see her.  What if I became vulnerable again.  A part of me wanted to. But I had to fight it. I sat on my door step. I looked at my phone. I held it in my hands. Twirling it. What to do. What to do. I sighed and texted her to meet me at the library in ten minutes. What was I suppose to say to her. I felt a little nervous. I stood up and headed for my truck. I slowly stopped walking. What if I didn’t go. What if I stood her up? Nah. I wasn’t gonna do that. That was mean. I got in the truck and drove to the library. For the first time, I drove in silence.