Cold Nights

First chapter in 3rd person.

~~~~~~

Marshall Lee trudged along the muddy road toward the Candy kingdom. His grey hoodie draped over his head gracefully. The clouds roared a low grumble across the sky. The boy looked up with his ruby red eyes and watched as the first rain drop fell directly on his cheek. It seemed to roll down in slow motion, and shimmer with the tiniest bit of light. Marshall sighed and looked back towards the ground. He shoved his cold, dead hands into his soft fluffy pockets.

Fionna had told him days before that Prince Gumball had been a little off. He hadn't thought about it much, seeing as he didn't really care for the pink boy. But that's just what he told everybody. Believe it or not, they used to be best friends. That was until the prince had such great responsibilities. Something went out in Gumball once he became the ruler of the Candy Kingdom. The fun, the carelessness, the joy. It all just disappeared without a trace. Marshall hasn't talked to him since then. Occasionally he'd see him in his garden but that was rare. The boy lived and breathed his lab, never leaving it for more than 15 minutes.

Thinking back on their friendship, Marshall inhaled deeply. He had no idea why he was going to see the prince. For some reason he felt the need to see what was going on.

Soon the bright Kingdom came into view. It's breath taking colors brought discomfort to Marshall. He was more of a red, black, and grey kind of guy.

The banana guards were slumped over at the pretzel gate, dozing instead of doing their job. Marshall snickered.

"Might as well have a little fun." He snuck behind one of them and disappeared from sight. His tongue curled out from his mouth as he hissed a loud, piercing screech. The guards jolted up and stared screaming. They ran in circles until eventually running into each other, knocking them to the ground.

"What in the world is going on out here!" A soft voice holland from behind. Marshall spun around, still invisible, to see none other than Prince Gumball. Holding his hands in fists and his posture completely straight. Marshall quickly turned visible again and smirked at the boy. Holding up a 'rock on' sign with his hand, he stuck his snake like tongue out.

"Sup Bubba." Marshall swear he saw a smoke erupt from the Prince's ears. Everything Marshall did, made Gumball extremely irritated. It always brought a little life to the dead vampire.

"Marshall Lee! What do you think you're doing?!" He yelled, pointing to the unconscious fruit on the grass. Marshall glanced at them, then back to Gumball. He simply shrugged and floated on his back, swinging one leg over the other.

"Found 'em like that." He stated as he rocked his foot. Of coarse Prince Gumball didn't believe him for a second. He pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed.

"What ever, I don't have time to deal with you." And with that, the pink boy spun around on his heal and back into the castle.

Marshall groaned and hovered behind him. Watching as his shoes clicked on the tile floor.

"What do you want Mr. Lee?" Gumball mumbled as he increased his speed.

"I'm sorry what was that?" The vampire floated ahead of the prince and cupped a hand around his sharp ears.

"I was simply asking why you're here." He repeated, obviously becoming annoyed.

"Oh, what? Can I not come to see my old friend? To check up? See what's goin' on?" His grin plastered on his face. Gumball sighed once more.

"Seriously, why are you here?" Marshall rolled his eyes and looked forward along with the other boy.

"Fionna said you've been acting weird. I know we haven't exactly been super tight lately but you're still my friend. So what's bothering you dude?" Marshall's words hit Gumball hard. He still thought of him as a friend? After all this time? After all this separation?

"It's nothing. I've just been busy." Gumball lied straight through his teeth.

"Bull shit." Marshall grabbed the Prince's shirt and pinned him against the wall. Their faced inches apart. "Bull. Shit. Bubba." He stared harshly into Gumball's purple orbs. The boy sighed.

"It's nothing, I swear." Marshall dropped his head along with his arms and exhaled heavily. He softly shook his head and stepped back away from the other boy.

"What happened to us Gumball?" The vampire looked back up at the boy with sadness in his eyes. They were so different now, so far apart. The prince looked down and shrugged softly.

"I-I don't know."

~~~<>~~~

Let me know what you guys think! <3 hopefully other chapters won't be this short. This is the introduction after all.