10

𝒯he silence seemed to drag on for ever

𝒯he silence seemed to drag on for ever. He could almost see the cogs running under the gray mass of hair pulled into a neat pun.

Mrs. Davis pushed her small, round glasses up her long nose, squinting her eyes as she inspected the shiny cupboards. William gulped, watching as the woman grabbed a stool to stand on.

Why was she so persistent? He felt as if he was really on the edge of the world, if that even existed. He could feel the sweat running down his back, why was he so nervous?!

Well, if the old woman refused to leave Will alone for the trip, he would be caught by the army for not going, if Mrs. Davis somehow figures out Will has been lying, she would skin him, boil him, and make breakfast of him. She wouldn't even need to add salt from all the sweat.

As he watched Mrs. Davis slid her bony finger over an old, dull picture of his parents, he could swear he peed a little. He was pale as a sheet and inside his mind, William was cursing like a sailor.

He had been pretty stupid indeed.

"Why do you want to go alone so bad?" she said, not turning around as she took a closer look at the pictures. He felt as if it was a test, he needed to find right words. A small voice in the back of his mind told him to speak like Steve. Mrs. Davis had always liked Steve better, everyone had. In fact, people weren't even trying to hide that anymore, Steve was just more... Something. He was just more. Yet, he wasn't. Some human emotions were confusing.

"I just want to prove myself that I can do it Mrs. Davis." he said, taking off his hat. "I feel as if I need to start doing things for myself. I know I'm sometimes irresponsible or reckless..." nah, he was not that reckless "But I need to prove to myself that I've grown, that I've learned from my mistakes," what mistakes?

He could see the doubt in her eyes, she just needed the one, last push. He cleared his throat, casting his baby blues down as he sighed heavily. "I understand, I just hoped I could prove myself to you, ma'am."

"Don't get soft on me now, William." he bit the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling. "I will keep this apartment for you, Rogers. So once you and Steven come back you can start sharing the grounds, heaven knows it's not my place to tell which one of you will be making family here." she mumbled the last part, her warm eyes peeking back at the old picture.

Don't squeal like a girl, Will, don't squeal like a girl. "I suppose you should be able to find one train after another, especially when you don't have to run from one platform to another," she said, looking thoughtful. 

"I mean, it would honestly mean so much to me," he could play Steve better than Steve himself. She leaned closer to the boy, making him gulp audibly. "And I want no tricks on your behalf, are we clear?" William manged his grown up voice, nodded seriously and said "absolutely, ma'am".

Mrs. Davis gave William one stern glare before turning towards the front door. "Well, what are you still doing dilly-dallying here then? Off you go packing! I need to find you train money, that rich aunt of yours should be able to cover for the rest, being duchess and all." she muttered the last part, opening the front door.

"No need," she froze, turning her suspicious gaze towards the young boy. "come again?" he cleared his throat "I've been working small jobs, carrying boxes, helping the Johnsons walk their dog for some time now, I've got that part cover, Mrs. Davis." she was baffled, and William hoped it was a good thing. She nodded and closed the door behind herself, her eyes still wide with wonder.

William could not hold back his smile any longer, an airy laugh left his throat. He shook his head, not really understanding how he had managed to pull it off.

He made his way to the small kitchen, clumsily falling on his knees as his nimble fingers slid over the dark floorboards, hooking behind a certain one. He slid it off, having a bit difficulty. The small place under the kitchen floor was filled with seemingly unnecessary things, trash mostly.

There were letters, the ones Sarah and Joseph had sent back and forth when they were teenagers, when they were on the first stages of falling in love. He would never tell it to anyone, but he had read them over like bedtime stories. They were neatly packed, hidden under the kitchen floor safely. On top of them were old reading glasses, the frames were a bit bent and one glass was cracked, they used to be Josephs. There was a black and red bowtie that Bucky had given to him when William had snuck into one of the fancy parties Buck had gone to. He had noticed the familiar mop of blond hair and wide, frantic blue eyes. Bucky had pulled William aside, laughed at his clothes and given him his bowtie to make him look better for the occasion. He had never asked it back, so William had kept it, in case he should ever need it again. There was also a small, worn out notebook that Steve had searched the whole house for, it was safe to say he never found it. William had snatched it from him once he got fed up with Steve for always doodling and not turning his attention to Will for once. Every stupid sketch Steve had made was in that old notebook. However, this time Will wasn't stuck in one of those past-dreams and in need of some familiarity. This  time, William was there to collect the money he had been earning for some time now. 

Okay, he might have found some of that money from strangers, but hey, he was an orphan, he was allowed to snatch pennies from rich aristocrats who thought they owned the world. Jokes on them. 

It wasn't much, but if he spent it reasonably he should get by just fine. After grabbing the cash, he halted, looking at the key tangling around his neck. He frowned, going to search the inside of his pocket as he pulled out the object Steve had given him. He gently placed the wooden cat-fox among the things kept hidden under the kitchen floor. William tilted his head, a piece of golden hair falling over his baby blues as he snorted. That was one ugly fox indeed. 

Hastily placing the floorboard back on its place, William dashed out of the house. He needed to find Rosa, tell her everything, then he'd pack his bag and the adventure of a lifetime would begin.

 He needed to find Rosa, tell her everything, then he'd pack his bag and the adventure of a lifetime would begin

***

Okay, should i even continue with this story? It feels as if nobody really reads or likes it, kind of kills off all the motivation and inspiration to write it. but if you are reading it or have, then thank you