Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Great question and a very common one," Dr. Anne then says as she leans forward, "But no, you can have sexual intercourse up until your water breaks. You are having a perfectly healthy pregnancy, Kayla, and there are no indications that sex should be a problem. As long as you're comfortable and it does not hurt, then you should be fine. If you start to have any vaginal bleeding, then it is very advisable that you stop and seek immediate medical attention, okay?" I nod and I begin to thank her as the appointment comes to an end. "One final thing," she says, standing and making her way to the door, "If the numbness in your hands worsens, then please do not hesitate to come in, you won't have to book an appointment. But now that you're wearing a splint, it should help and but you must also try not to sleep on your hands, and if you feel pain, try shaking your hands until the tingling reduces and continue to flex your wrists and fingers regularly throughout the day," she explains.

"Thank you," I say and as I stand, I'm suddenly reminded of the discomfort that I've been feeling for these past couple of days. Ever since the baby's head has been engaged, I sometimes have these shooting pains down my thighs and it feels like I'm walking with a bowling ball between my legs, not to mention that I've finally mastered that embarrassing pregnancy waddle.

"Take care of yourself now and don't do anything too stressful, you should spend a majority of your day resting," Dr. Anne says.

We exit the doctor's clinic, saying our final goodbyes and thank you to Dr. Anne, before making our way to my car that's parked up in the parking lot. Feeling too tired to drive; I let Damion drive us home. I've been feeling so tired recently and it really sucks, especially since I've got so much that I want to do. These past days, I've been fast asleep by the time Damion returns home from work, and I do miss our little late night cuddles as we tell each other about our days before I drift off to sleep. I usually feel the warmth of his body as he climbs into bed beside me and buries his nose into my hair, but other times I feel too hot and I don't even want him to touch me. Pregnancy has made my moods pretty unpredictable.

After stopping at a small smoothie bar for freshly made banana and strawberry smoothie, we make our way back to the apartment. As we're driving along the highway, soft, rich, classical music drifts through the car as a woman pours her soul out into the song and she's singing ever so passionately. It was my mother's selection and it's surprisingly good. It's not usually my type of music but it is very relaxing and the baby seems to love it since he doesn't seem to keep still when it's playing. The corners of my lips turn upright into a smile as my hand soothes over my stomach.

I turn to look at Damion, but my brows immediately furrow together. Something's not right here... He's got a cheeky boyish grin on his face as if he's concealing the world's juiciest secret and he feels pretty smug about it. I turn in my seat to face him and arch an eyebrow at him. "What is it?" I ask, "You're hiding something from me."

"Am I?" he teases, quickly glancing at me as he drives his hand through his blond and unruly curls, but I can see the humour in his eyes. I roll my eyes but smile as he pulls up to a traffic light. He turns towards me, leaning against the door with his elbow resting on the steering wheel. His eyes are glistening with excitement and mischief as he says, "And what could I possibly be hiding from you?"

I purse my lips, and I'm not sure whether to be excited or worried, but I'm feeling a little more on the excited side. "Well whatever it is that you're hiding," I say, smirking at him, "It better not require me to leave the house because I'm honestly too tired, baby," I say.

He turns and faces forward as the traffic light turns green, with a knowing smile spread across his face, "Oh don't worry, you won't."

"Oh, please tell me what it is," I whine.