Adventure 2: Forest Between Universes

CHAPTER 1

"Nick? Are you okay?" Jenny said, tapping him on the shoulder, "You've been working on it all night." Nick nodded and turned in his chair. "Yeah, I'm fine," He said, getting up and hugging her. He'd been working tirelessly since they'd returned from the future a week ago. "Why wouldn't I be okay?" "Nick, I know you well enough to know when you're trying to protect yourself. What the hell is wrong?" Jenny said, sitting on his lap, and looking into his eyes, a look of concern evident in her face. Nick let out a sigh, letting his head fall into her chest. "I'm sorry... It's just.. the fact that we did something that should be impossible and that would probably get us committed to a psychological recovery facility.. it's hard to wrap my head around it, that's all. Coding Max isn't helping either," He said, hugging Jenny close. "Then you know what? You need a break," Jenny said, closing the lid on Nick's laptop and raising Nick's hair from his face. "And I know just the thing. Grab your hoodie, and follow me."

CHAPTER 2

The forest was cool and quiet as Nick and Jenny walked along the path, a soft breeze rustling through the trees bringing a smile to Jenny's face. "Why are we here?" Nick asked, turning to Jenny and tilting his head. Jenny sighed. "You need something to relax, and walks in the forest tend to calm people," She said as a robin landed on her shoulder and cooed softly. As they entered a large meadow, reality around them began to bend and twist, as if the very fabric of reality was being unraveled and rewoven by some strange force from beyond existence. Nick looked around and saw 6 other figures in the meadow as a horrible, shrill laughter began to fill Nick and Jenny's ears. "Welcome, travelers, to my realm," The voice said, its tone high and giggly. One of the figures groaned. "Where the hell are we and who the hell are you?" The figure said, his voice low and angry. "Oh, please lighten up," The voice said, sighing. "Welcome to Kuesoth, I am Bakuri, God of Adventure and Escapism. And I've brought you all here because I am in need of assistance." "Why should we care? And what help could we possibly give you?" Another figure said, her voice silky and angelic. "A darkness is sweeping my realm, and, if not stopped, will consume your worlds as swiftly as it has taken hold of my realm," Bakuri replied, manifesting itself into a physical form resembling a female with tan skin, dark purple hair and grey eyes and running a hand through its hair. "And you eight are the best chance at fighting it there is." "Do you have to use that dreadful form?" A third figure said, huffing as he spoke. "You look as if you came from the mind of an adolescent girl who can't figure out which pathetic boy band she prefers staring at more. Nick rolled his eyes and sighed. "Look, who are we standing with? If we're going on an adventure, I'd at least like to know who I'm travelling with," He said, combing his hair with his hand. "I agree," Said a fourth voice, and the fog separating the aspiring adventurers faded, as did Bakuri's humanoid form. "Welcome to the multiverse, ladies and gentlemen," Bakuri said, and it began to introduce the members of the newly assembled party.

CHAPTER 3

"Now, I'm sorry if I don't get precise Universe codes right, but most of what I'm about to say should be accurate," Bakuri said as Nick and Jenny looked about at the others. "I believe you in the center are Earth One Nickolas Jackson and Jennifer Miller," It began. "To the right of you should be Earth Five Nick Jackson and Nora Starlight, to the right of them should be Earth Ninety Four Alex Davis and Rosalyna Fox, and-" "Hey, Bakuri, could the introductions wait until we begin our quest? Your realm is being eaten away, isn't it?" Nick said, sighing and running his hand through his hair. "Of course, allow me to conjure a path for you," Bakuri replied, and a path forward into the forest materialized (with no real explanation given, or required) before the newly assembled party. "Now, your Tolkien-esque hero's journey begins! Good luck. You'll need it."

CHAPTER 4

"So, anyone for introductions?" Jenny said as the party began to walk down the path. "I'll go first. I'm Jenny Miller, from Earth One." A girl laughed and looked at her, her red eyes glinting in the early morning sunlight. "I'm Tessa Brown, From Earth Thirty Two. Who's your friend?" Nick looked at Tessa and sighed. "I'm Nick Jackson, from Earth One, I guess." "Wow... Is he always so down?" Tessa said, looking at Jenny with confusion. Jenny shrugged and took Nick's hand. "No, he's just hurting, I guess," Jenny said, "But, I can't tell." Tessa nodded, looked ahead, and looked back at Jenny. "When we get to a place to stop, I need to look at Nick. I think I can help him," She said, and looked ahead once more. "Okay guys, who's next?" "Dammit Tessa! Wait until we reach a town to do this!" A voice near the front yelled, his tone gravelly. "Oops, I just realized you eight are all horribly equipped. Don't worry though, there's a town just up ahead, there'll be a chest for you! You can't miss it!" Bakuri said, and the voice faded away as the group reached a town gate, next to which lie a chest. "Oh goodie, a box with infinite space," Nick grumbled, opening it and pulling out a book. "Nick, come on! Stop acting like such a grump!" Jenny said, looking at Nick with slight contempt. Nick nodded and stepped back, walking to a stump and sitting down, opening the book, not really noticing leather armor and a cloak materialize around him. "Ah, it seems you now have a ranger amongst your ranks!" Bakuri said, and yet again the voice faded away on the wind. Nick took off the leather hood he'd gotten and looked up at the sky and smirking as he whispered something under his breath.

CHAPTER 5

"Alright," Tessa said as the party sat down in the tavern, "Who wants to introduce themselves?" "I guess I can," A boy with bright green eyes and black hair said, smiling. "I'm Alex Davis, from Earth... what did Bakuri say, Ninety Four?" Alex said, running his hand through his hair. "This woman on my arm is Rosalyna Fox." Rosalyna smiled as Alex spoke and leaned into him, closing her eyes and placing her head on his shoulder. "I'm Nickolas Jackson," A boy with dark blonde hair and dark blue eyes said, straightening his collar and running his hand through his hair. "I'm from Earth Five. This wonderful lady at my side is the lovely Nora Starlight, my companion," He said, patting Nora's leg and kissing her pale cheek, smiling as she giggled and hugged him. And so they continued introducing themselves, like this:

"I'm Nick Jackson of Earth One"

"Jennifer Miller of Earth One"

"Ivan Vodkovitch of Earth Fifty Five"

"Boris McSlavbot3000 Model Five of Earth Fifty Five"

"Tessa Brown of Earth Nine"

"And Nick Jackson of Earth One M"

The last of these introductions was accompanied by a six minute musical number that did not, in any way, shape or form, adhere to the laws of reality, but more the laws of reality as dictated by a high school play script.

CHAPTER 6

"Okay," Tessa said as the firelight began to dim in the room, "Nick, come with me, please." "Hey, I exist too, you know," Jenny snapped, a faint snarl on her face. "Jenny, what I'm about to do needs to be done alone," Tessa said softly, placing her hand on Jenny's and looking comfortingly into her eyes, as if the depths of her soul lay within them. "Alright," Jenny huffed, "But he's mine. Remember that."