Chapter 21 A Femme Fatale Musketeer

Start from the beginning

Cosette said nothing. However, Athos to comfort her laid a hand on the back of her arm gently. She looked at him, apparently giving them a silent thank you, but she remained, quiet and stoic. In honesty, Cosette was breaking inside. First Treville, and now Constance. Despite comfort and praise from Athos, Cosette still felt agony rise within her. Meanwhile, Aramis looked up to the stands, unaware of Milady's presence when he finally caught sight of Porthos' mistress.

"You invited your widow?" Aramis asked. Porthos looked towards his friend annoyed.

"Her name's Alice."

"You only needed 30 livres, not a wife."

"Did I say anything about marriage? No."

"My God. You're actually considering it?"

"There is a life beyond the Musketeers, you know."

"Well, one thing I've learned. Never put your trust in love," Cosette hissed, remembering her account with Constance. Athos and Aramis looked at each other over Cosette's head, just wondering where that had come from. Despite Constance breaking from Cosette, she still had her three brothers with her.

From across the team, the Red Guards and the King's stands where the King and Queen and Richelieu were sitting. Cosette got rid of her pout as Treville left the tent. She was supposed to be professional not act like a child. They all wished Treville luck. Louis was also excited. However quickly, people's expressions turned to confusion when they announced the Red Guard's champion: Lebarge. Cosette shook her head. That man was supposed to be locked up.

"This is some sort of sick joke," Cosette hissed.

Well, the Captain isn't surprised," said Aramis.

"He knew," Porthos added.

"Well, this is highly irregular," Louis said out loud, so much that everyone could hear him. "Shouldn't he be in the Bastille?"

"Oh, I'm a great believer in rehabilitation, Sire. Lebarge is now a commissioned officer in the Red Guards."

Cosette felt every pain that Treville had been suffering. She nearly screamed when she saw Treville land on the ground and with that Lebarge stepped on Treville's shoulder fairly hard, enough to break a bone in his body.

"He'll kill him!" Cosette shouted. She raced right onto the tournament ground. Athos, Aramis and Porthos tried to stop her. However, they saw Cosette was right.

"What the hell are you doing?" Treville shouted.

"Saving your life!" shouted Cosette in return.

The Musketeers and the Red Guards entered a small duel. The King was infuriated.

"Stop!" shouted the King. He looked at Richelieu who was disappointed. "Your man broke the rules, Cardinal. Captain Treville may nominate another champion, if he wishes."

Treville and the other Musketeers looked at each other. Athos gave Treville a pointed look, so did Porthos and Aramis, who had been aware of Athos' conversation. Cosette surely had missed a conversation between her brothers and godfather. Whatever it was, it was influencing Treville. All the other Musketeers, including Bauer, Philippe, Henri, knew what his decision was going to be.

"I nominate d'Artagnan to take my place," said Treville. Cosette blinked. Aramis and Porthos pat her on the back as she brought out her rapier.

"My little friend from the Bastille? You look even more pathetic in the daylight. I'm going to enjoy this.

"Somehow I doubt it," Cosette fired back. She and the maniac fought each other. Athos, Porthos and Aramis watched as Cosette fought back.