Sweetness - Allison Young

"I must be dreaming..."

Pale cheeks flushing pink at the near certainty that Derek had caught her dancing, she shifted slightly under the warm blanket, confident smile half hidden in the crook of her arm.

"I could have sworn you said you found pears."

Dark eyes fluttering open, grin faltering at the scrapes and soot smudges on Derek's face, she pushed herself up to sit, jumping to her feet, heading for her duffel. Grabbing for her canteen and a mostly clean T-shirt, she scurried back to him, sinking to a seat beside him on the cot, unscrewing the metal lid with sure fingers.

"I'll share with you."

Upending the canteen, she dampened a corner of the soft cotton shirt with water, biting her lip as she leaned to Derek, carefully wiping the unavoidable dirt of a post J-Day world from his temples and cheek.

"Just... Don't tell Charlie."

Brow lifting, she nodded towards the massive Alsatian dozing by the fire, brown fur tinging red in the low light.

"He'd be jealous. Derek... How was it out there?"

Stamping down hard on the want to ask him if he was okay, to grab tape to hold a slice on his cheek in place, to get him to lie down, even if just for a minute; she shook her head, warmth in her eyes as she replaced the lid on the canteen, turning to grab the pears.

"That's a stupid question. Sorry..."

With a toss of her caramel mane, she let out a low laugh, slowly shaking her head.

"I know. It's a tropical paradise. Lawn chairs by the pool, and banana daiquiris for all, while a steel drum band seranades from behind the barn. Here."

Bending at the waist, she pulled the blanket from the floor, spreading it over both their laps as she shifted closer to him, pulling open the tin of sweet fruit.

"It's just..."

Closing her eyes for a beat, she stalled; stirring the can's contents, bright smile belying nothing as she tried to summon the nerve to ask Derek to teach her how to shoot. To fight. To tell him that she was sick to death of wearing a hole in the floor, pacing back and forth, every time he and Kyle went on a supply run.

That she was tired of being afraid.

"It's just... I'm glad you're okay."

Kicking herself for wimping out, nothing but calm on her face, she grabbed for a fork, spearing the first wedge of sweet pear, offering Derek the first bite.

"Wait. It /melts/ them?"

Blinking, her appreciative gaze sliding from Derek's face to the paper bag beside him on the cot, she let out a long, slow whistle.

"Holy... Nice catch. How's it work?"