Cotton and Denim - Allison Young

Moving to the last in a haphazard line of weathered trunks, she turned to eye the newbie; pursing her lips as she studied him, trying to guess his size.

"Don't mind the reception, John. Everyone's a little jumpy since the last round of metal decided to come knocking. Hell... You didn't get shot. That's positively friendly for this crowd."

Not daring to look at Derek, knowing if she met his gaze she'd laugh, she reached into the trunk, pulling out another pair of jeans, and a trio of cotton shirts, head canting.

"What are you... a 34? 36?"

Offering John a warm smile, registering the talk of a weapons cache without acknowledging it, she pressed the clean cotton and denim into his hands; meeting his gaze in the light for the first time, trying to judge if he was actually offering tangible help, or talking through his ass to avoid getting ejected.

Not that she couldn't understand that. Fear was a hell of a motivator. But this guy...

He didn't look scared.

"We're a family in here. You don't have to worry... We look after each other."

Leaning back, she eyed Kyle's backpack, biting her lip, wanting to put John at his ease.

"If you hurry, you can have your pick of whatever haute cuisine got scavenged on the last run. Are you hungry? Thirsty?"

Gaze flickering to Derek, she subtly reached for John's wrist, blinking at his pulse rate; gently guiding him to a seat on a closed trunk.

"Have... Have you been out there /alone/ all this time?"