19. Every Time I Look for You

Start from the beginning

"We all did," he cut in. "People like us have to stick together. If we don't, well, there are ways to make things happen."

"What kind of ways?" She asked, thinking she had some idea of the answer.

Nick straightened up a bit, the subject being more firmly in his comfort zone. "Oh, you know, cast the person out of the scene, stop doing business with them, make them realize they made the wrong choice. Those sorts of things."

He was so nonchalant about potentially ruining someone's life, it made Maggie's blood boil. "And here you talk about the tyranny of the owners, Nick," she said, stopping herself before she said any of the other cruel and angry things that were fighting to come out of her mouth.

"Now wait just a minute," Nick cried out, standing up quickly before taking a moment to gather his words. "I appreciate what a fine friend you've been to Becca through all this, but you're not from here and you don't know what you're talking about." He turned to Mr. Hale, addressing both of them, "Being part of this boycott, it was like being in a war. And just like in a war, there are some causalities. But it would be a crime to just sit around and do nothing." With that, the conversation was over.

At least Nick had regained some of his fire during the visit. Maggie wasn't quite so worried about him being alone, now. "Let me drive you home," she said, walking with him to the door.

Shaking his head, Nick pulled on his coat. "No, the fresh air will do me some good. Help clear my head and all that."

"Well, be careful then," she said, pulling him into a hug before he could walk down the sidewalk.

Nick squeezed her tightly, whispering a soft "thank you," as he let go. Another quick wave and he was gone.

There was another figure on the street that Maggie hadn't noticed before. Scowling, John stood a few houses down, looking as if he had been on his way towards the Hale's. She caught his eye but didn't say anything, noticing the deep frown on his face as he abruptly turned and walked in the opposite direction.

John

A message on his answering machine waited for John when he got home. It was Mr. Hale, saying he had missed his lesson today and hoped that they would be able to resume in the near future. The message was kind and full of encouragement, making John feel guilty for allowing Maggie to ruin the friendship he had built with her father. None of this was Richard's fault, and John decided to try harder to put his feelings aside.

Before John knew what he was doing, he had his jacket on and was walking towards the Hale's. It was late, but Mr. Hale was known to be a night owl if he had something on his mind. John planned to stroll by, see if it looked like the lights in the music room were on, maybe knock quietly on the door. He had a sudden need to talk to someone, not about anything in particular, but just have real human contact.

He wasn't expecting to see the door open and Maggie step out with Nick. What was he doing there? John wondered to himself. He didn't think Maggie was that close with Nick for him to be hanging around at her house. He added that to the list of grievances Nick had committed against him, though the jealousy that swelled in his heart was completely irrational. The long hug goodbye Maggie and Nick shared didn't help anything, either. John was frozen in place as he watched Nick finally leave.

The smart thing to do would have been to walk away before Maggie noticed him. But he didn't, instead, he stood, angrily glaring as she turned and caught his eye. The open look of concern and sadness on her face made him more irate. All the plans of going to see Mr. Hale were blown to pieces. John forced himself to break their eye contact, to turn and make his way back home. He thought he could feel her gaze on his back; it took every ounce of willpower not to turn around and check.