I search the registers for Sams blonde hair and found him on register 4. I entered that line. I watched him as he talked to the customer in front of me. He scanned the items quickly while maintaining eye contact with the person. I heard him say something about going to the beach this weekend. Just thinking about him laying out in the sun shirtless made me shiver. He was constantly licking his lips and I prayed he had chap stick with him.

Then it was my turn.

"Hello, how are- oh hi," his voice shifted like I was different from the rest of the customers. His voice wasn't as hard, if that made any sense.

"Hi, I'm good," I said, answering his unfinished question. A giggle escapes his lips. He grabs the milk handle and swipes it through.

"Wait," he said, "I thought you said you didn't like milk."

It actually surprised me that he remembered. I handed him the money that my mom gave me, our fingers brushing slightly.

"I don't, it's for my mom," I reply. He licks his lips again, his red tongue darting out.

"Ahh gotcha. How were your Oreos?" He asks. It baffled me he remembered what I bought and I laugh lowly.

"They were delicious. Have you tried them yet?" I ask a question back. He hands me my change and shakes his head, "Unfortunately, no, not yet."

He looks into my eyes and I swear he was trying to tell me something else.

"Maybe I'll buy you some," I said flirting a little. His face changes to that of surprised, his lips parted, eyes wide. He's holding his hands up too.

"What? No, don't be silly," he blurts out. I laugh and hold my hands up in surrender.

"Alright. Well see ya later," I said. My mom was probably waiting so I had to get home.

"Right, okay," he says.

He turns towards me as I'm walking to the door and when I glance over my shoulder, he's still watching me. I give him a small wave and he returns one.

When I got home, my mom used the milk in her recipe and I kept thinking about Sam. It was cute the way he recognized me, I though for sure he wouldn't remember. Unless he has a crush on me the same way I have one on him. I shake the thought from my head, he couldn't.

——

I hope he thinks I wasn't stalking him because I'm back at the grocery store, this time with some friends. We were buying sandwiches and drinks for a pool day. My friend, Jake, has a pool at his house and he invited me over. Once arriving to his house, he announces that he has no food at his house.

The grocery store was busy and we had to wait in line for awhile before we could order our subs. Jake and Corey both get turkey while I get ham.

"Drinks?" Jake says once the subs were done. So we venture to the drink aisle and he grabs a case of Dr.Pepper.

"Wait let me grab one thing," I call to them. I grab a family sized pack of mint Oreos. Satisfied, I walk back up to my friends. And once again I get in Sam's line.

"Hi, how ya doing?"

His voice was so angelic and I couldn't get enough of it. He talks to Jake, oblivious to me.

"Hey me and my buddies are having a pool party. Well it's not really a party," Jake points to Corey and I. Sams eyes follow his finger to me. His eyes light up. I smile softly.

"We had to come here first though. We didn't have any food," Jake laughs as Sam hands him the receipt.

"Hi," his voice was low and soft. He scanned my items, a sub sandwich and mint Oreos.

"More Oreos I see," he laughs. God, it gets me every time.

"Can never have too much Oreos," I say back. Jake wraps an arm around my shoulder while I pay. I can physically see Sam grimace. Was he jealous?

"Yea Colby here loves Oreos," Jake tells him. Sams eyes lock with mine as he hands me the change.

Corey was next but Sam kept glancing at me. We were about to walk away when I asked, "Do you want one?" 

I motioned towards my bag with the Oreos. Sam instantly shook his head, "No it's alright." I stared at him long and hard before leaving with Jake and Corey.

"Dude, did you see the way that kid was looking at you?" Jake asked as we were laying by the pool, a few hours later.

"Who?" I asked confused.

"The guy at the grocery store. He couldn't stop looking at you," Jake said. I smile to myself.

"I didn't notice. Corey did you?" I look over at Corey who was slurping on a soda.

"Yea man, he had heart eyes for you Colby," Corey said.

I almost squeal in excitement thinking about how Sam was looking at me. But I play it cool especially around my friends. I was leaving Jakes house when my mom called, "We need shredded cheese and sour cream for our tacos tonight." She was basically telling me to go to the store for her. But I didn't mind if that meant seeing Sam again.

"Colby right?"

I whipped my head around. I was looking at the cheese when I heard my name. And my eyes locked with Sams. He was still in uniform but he was holding a basket of food. My face blushed.

"Yea, how'd you know?" I asked because I never told him.

"Your friend said it earlier today. I'm surprised your back," he points down at the floor.

"We needed cheese and sour cream for tacos," I laugh, grabbing a bag of shredded cheese. He nods and we both start to walk to the front.

"Are you going home?" I ask, it was around 6pm.

"Yea finally. I've been here since 9," he mumbles. He sounded kind of mad.

"Oh I'm sorry," I said unsure of how to respond. We get in line with him behind me.

"It's alright I saw you today. You made it bearable," he says softly. I gaze at him and he's blushing hardcore. It made my heart clench in my chest.

"Aww," I blurt out kind of speechless. He starts unpacking his basket onto the belt: blue Gatorade, chocolate syrup, lucky charms cereal, two apples and finally mint Oreos.

"Oh my gosh," I squeal, my hand reaches up to grab the pack. "Mint Oreos!"

He laughs at my excitement. Then points in front of me signaling it was my turn to check out. I check out and wait for him. Once he grabbed his stuff he walks towards me.

"Can you have one now? I wanna see your reaction," I scramble to say. We walk outside and he guides me to a bench. We sit down and he opens up the pack of cookies.

"Ok here goes," he says and bites into the Oreo. Crumbs fall from his face and he licks his lips. I watch his eyes as he starts chewing. I hold his arm and squeal again when I realize he likes them.

"You love them don't you?" I ask.  He eats another one and that alone answers my question.

"These are amazing," he comments. He holds the pack out to me and I gladly take one. My eyes scan the parking lot, cars coming and going as I munch on the Oreo. I think about telling him that I like him. Telling him about how I have a massive crush on him.

"I..."

"I..."

We both look at each other and burst out laughing. We both started to say something at the same time.

"You first," He points to me. I take a deep breath.

"I think your really cute like super cute. And I might have a crush on you," I say quickly. I hold my breath, waiting for his reaction.

"I was going to say the same thing," Sam giggles out.

We exchange numbers and I told him I would visit him soon. We hug before we part ways and it was the best hug I've ever had. And to think this was only because I was craving Oreos.