Chapter 13

I put a plate in front of James with his tea and then put my plate down and sit, putting the serving tray off to the side. He looks a little surprised, so I try to smooth it over. "Lunch time," I say. "I'm starving." I grab my chopsticks and start eating.

"You were right. This place is not busy."

I could be such a smartass right now. I'm in the mood for it, but instead I simply explain. "Yeah, most Asian places aren't even open on Sundays. But my parents want to be different. So, I'm stuck here while they're off playing."

James laughs. "Filial Piety eh?"

I'm a bit surprised that he's heard of such a thing and I end up laughing. "Something like that. Or the fact that I owe them for putting me through college." And boy do I ever.

He points to the heart stamped on my hand, "Your parents know?"

As I sit there eating, I suddenly wonder if James is out. Does he expect me to be? How would I explain to my parents that I'm gay and I'm dating a guy that's almost twice my age? I always planned to come out to my parents with Matt. We had everything planned. It was going to be perfect. But now everything's changed.

"No," I say, hoping that this isn't a deal breaker. For quite a few guys I've met, this was about the time they walked away from me. "Nobody knows except Marla and Josie." Well, not exactly. Tori knows and a few others that James probably has never met, but no point in going into that right now.

"Ah," James says. He becomes quiet. I get a little nervous.

"You?" I ask.

"Oh, well my mom passed away years ago and she never knew. I told my dad once and he made it clear that I should go back to women. We've never spoken of it since."

I remember him saying he was bi last night to Marla. I feel a knot in my stomach develop. "You're really bi?" I ask.

"Yes," he replies. "Funny thing, my ex cheated on me with another guy and had the audacity to tell me, after we broke up, that she didn't want me to go back to dating guys." Damn, she sounds like a bitch.

"What about you?" he asks.

"Oh, I'm a 110% gay. Known it since I was little."

James continues eating and not saying anything. I chide myself. "110% gay?" What the fuck is wrong with me? I sound so stupid. There's no way this guy would ever be interested in an idiot like me. I mean, seriously, what the hell could we possibly have in common. Beer? Dancing? The only thing I do... then it hit me. Video games. He said he plays them.

I get the feeling he's staring at me and when I look up to meet his eyes, then he looks down at his food. What's his deal?

I wonder if he would come over and play video games? I mean should I be inviting him to do this? We hardly know each other. I fidget a little thinking about this, but before I chicken out, I ask him, "Whatcha doin' tonight?"

"Nothing, probably playing a video game," he replies, a bit nonchalantly.

Great! Maybe this will work. I still haven't even touched that game I spent all that money for. Maybe we can hang out and do that. "I just got a new game  but haven't had the chance to play it. Wanna come over?" Damn, I'm being as bold as fuck right now. Am I that desperate?

He looks up from his food at me and simply says "Yes." But, he looks a bit uncomfortable. The thought occurs to me that I should mention that I have my own place. "I live alone in a small apartment close to the college. My parents live in the suburbs."

I think his face softened a little. He asks, "What time?"

"Well, I get off work at 4, and will be home about 4:30. So, come by at 5?"

"Okay," he replies.

We finish eating and he pays for his meal. Before he walks out the door, I wave and say, "See you tonight."

He nods and walks out. I shake my head and laugh to myself. What is it with James and that cold air about him? I wonder how many beers it takes to get him to let his hair down.

I put the dishes back on the serving tray and head into the kitchen.

"So, gonna get fucked tonight, eh?" Tori asks with a big grin.

I roll my eyes as I put the dishes in the sink. "Are you sure you aren't bi-curious? I know a couple of guys who would love to give you a good fuck."

Tori laughs. "Sorry, my door only swings one way. Out."

"A little lube and I bet we can get it swinging both ways," I say as I start to laugh along.

"Ow" he says while putting his hands over his butt.

We joke around for a bit more as I clean up. I am rather excited about this evening. I mindlessly tend the other customers that come in. Damn, time sure drags when you're waiting on something.