life is a highway

Start from the beginning

"What's going on?" I mumble, sleep still evident in my voice. Sam leans in to kiss me.

"While you were sleeping I drank two full water bottles. I had to stop and use the bathroom," Sam explains.

I rub my eyes and turn to get out of the car. When my feet hit the ground, my knees buckle from being in the car for so long. Sam catches me and steadies me.

"You're cute when you're tired," Sam whispers in my ear. I giggle because his breath was hot. I pull Sam into a hug. He pats my butt and says, "Do you have to go? That's why I woke you up."

"Yeah I'll go," I say. I kiss him hard before I walk to the rest area with the bathrooms.

Once returning outside I see Sam is still in the drivers seat, looking at his phone. I opened his door and he looks at me confused.

"Nope, I'm driving now babe," I say. Sam smirks.

"Oh really?" Sam says, eyebrows raised. "I'm already in the drivers seat."

I lean into the car and cup Sams cheeks. I kiss him rather harshly. I force my tongue into his mouth and a soft whimper escapes his lips. With one hand I grab his tiny waist and lead him out of the car. I hope I was distracting him with my lips for him to notice he was out of the car. Once he was farther away from the divers door, I pull away and dart into the seat, closing the door.

Sam gasps when realizing what just happened. He walks slowly to the passenger side and gets in, a pout on his lips.

"Baby don't be mad," I say putting the car into drive. Sam folds his arms and puffs out air like he's angry. I merge onto the interstate and put on cruise control. I reach for his hand but he turns the other way. So instead I place it on his thigh and rub circles in his jean covered leg. He won't be mad forever.

I cruise around cars until the GPS tells me to take the next exit. I get off the highway and now am on a curvy mountainous road. Sam eventually forgives me I guess and takes my hand.

"Hey Sam, do we have any snacks?" I question. I could feel my stomach rumble and we still had two hours to go. Sam reaches around the backseat for a few seconds before pulling out a plastic bag filled with snacks.

"Mm which one?" He asks. He holds up gummy worms and a bag of Doritos. I point to the gummy worms and he opens the pack up. He grabs a handful and shoves them into his mouth.

"Hey," I squeal, reaching for the bag. Sam is laughing as he grabs another handful.

"Baby, cmon I want some," I say, driving around a car. I can feel him looking at me so I glance in his direction. A stray worm is hanging from his lips and I quickly reach over and grab it from his mouth. He gasp as he watches me place it my mouth.

"That was hot," Sam whispers.

"Baby, feed me," I complain.

I open my mouth when Sams hand comes into my face, gummy worms in tow. He places them in my mouth and I chew them slowly. Satisfied, I grab his hand and kiss it.

"In 5.3 miles, turn left," the GPS lady tells us. We both start laughing.

"Ok I want something else to eat," Sam says putting the gummy worms away. He pulls out the Doritos and starts munching on them. I continue down the road for another five miles before turning left onto a one lane road.

"Continue on this road for 63 miles," the GPS lady says again.

We had booked a hotel with a mountain view in downtown. It had plenty of shops and restaurants as well as tours and such. Sam and I already booked a hiking excursion around the mountain. There was no service but the hotel had WiFi, not like we were trying to talk to people.

"Colby, I'm bored," Sam complains.

"Oh yea," I say, focusing on the road. We were going slower now as the car in front of me was only going 45mph. And I couldn't pass him yet because the road had solid double yellow lines.

"What do you wanna do when we get there?" He asks, making conversation.

"Well maybe we could get room service and then do a little kissing," I say huskily. Kissing always leads to something more.

"Can we order pizza?" Sam questions, completing ignoring the second half of what I said.

"Of course my love," I laugh. He seems content with my answer because he scrolls back on his phone.

The endless pavement of a road finally opens up into two lanes and I pass the dummy that's going so slow. When I look over at the driver, I see he's an older man probably afraid of all the sharp turns.

The GPS lady finally tells me that our destination is on the left. And sure enough after one last turn, I see our hotel come into view. Downtown was cute and had fairly lights hanging on the streetlights. I pull into the parking lot and turn off the car. Sam was sleeping now and he looked so peaceful.

"Sam, baby. Wake up," I shake him awake until he's stretching his hands over his head. I get out of the car and get the luggage from the trunk out. With Sam lugging behind me, I walk into the lobby of the hotel.

Our room was on the seventh floor and we get in the elevator. I had already put an order in for a cheese pizza while in the lobby. The receptionist said it would be at our door in twenty minutes. Sam was leaning against me and I wrap an arm around his shoulder, kissing the top of his head.

I unlock our door to see the breathtaking view. The rolling mountains were gorgeous and they took up our whole window. There was some fog or it could be clouds covering the very tops of some but they were beautiful. I set our luggage on the bed as Sam wanders over to the window.

"Colby, look," Sam shouts pointing out the window. I walk behind him and embrace him in a hug. From the very corner of the window, I could just make out the dying light of the sun.

"You got your sunset after all," I say kissing the back of his neck. He turns to face me but I duck down to suck on the skin of his neck.

"I think..." he stutters as I find his sweet spot. I hum into his neck for him to continue talking. His fingers reach under my shirt and after driving most of the day, it felt really good.

"I think we should come here more often," he finally manages to say. And I couldn't agree with him more.