Part one- The Fall

"Rachel!"
"Rachel! Charlotte is here."                                                                                                                                 "Coming, mom!", I shout. 

I quickly sneak a final glimpse in the mirror. I'm wearing my faded jeans shorts and a deep scarlet top, with golden flats. As usual, my brown hair is up in its high ponytail. Watch: check, peace earrings: check, sling bag: check. Ok, ready to go.

My mouth splits into a smile as I dash out of my room and down the stairs, taking them two at a time. I yell a quick goodbye before pulling the door shut behind me. Jogging down the driveway, I wave at the familiar face grinning out at me from her car.

"Hey!!"

"Someone is late!" The face replies to my greeting, waggling her eyebrows at me.

"Good evening to you too," I smirk back at her, getting in the shotgun seat. 

Her being my best friend, Charlotte. Even though we've known each other for a little over six years now, we've only really gotten close, let alone started talking, over the last three years or so. The insanity bug infected us together, and now we're inseparable. 

At 5ft 4inches Charlotte has a round face with deep forest green eyes, wavy dark brown hair ending just a few inches below her shoulder. She is smart and quite, a complete opposite of me who has trouble keeping her mouth shut even for a minute.Tonight we're doing something we rarely do together- going to a party. 

Zaliya, my classmate, is turning 17 today. Let's just say we're not huge fans of each other, but we have to call each other in our parties because of our mothers. If only they knew.Oh well. Dwelling on the miseries of life never brings any good. As Charlotte starts the car, I sit back and turn up the radio. We look at each other in amused exasperation as that song we both hate comes on. Laughing at her expression (which I'm sure mirrors mine), I change the station, as she drives us towards what is sure to be a drama filled night.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Soon we pull up outside Zaliya's house. It's more of a mansion than a house - wrought iron gates, sprawling green gardens, fountains and what not. I squint out from the car's window at the lights twinkling at us from all over the estate. Charlotte skillfully maneuvers the car into the last slot left. 

We get out, and as soon as she locks the car, we walk through the gates and up the driveway to the door. I lift my hand and am about to ring the bell when the door flies open reluctantly, and a sickeningly sweet smile fills my vision. The owner of the smile, Zaliya, envelops me in one of her infamous bear hugs as if we're meeting after a very long time and she's pleased to see me. It's the complete opposite of our usual greetings, and I immediately know her mom is nearby, so I play along. 

Hugging her back enthusiastically (though in my mind I'm wringing her neck), I paste a fake smile on my face and wish her a happy birthday.Deciding to take the act a bit further, I compliment her, pushing the lie out through gritted teeth: "You look beautiful." As usual, she doesn't. Her makeup is positively ghastly to look at, and her hair resembles a hedgehog that somehow managed to survive a nuclear bomb. Though I have to admit, her outfit is a lot better than what she usually wears - a black strapless crop top with three-fourth sleeves and hot pink shorts."You look good too." She plays along, returning the (false) favour.

 I can tell she's trying hard not to give one of her lame snappy comebacks. Before we can escalate our cool game, Charlotte comes up behind me and greets Zaliya, who thankfully shifts her attention away from me. They hug each other lightly, and Cassia wishes her happy birthday. Zaliya, realizing that she has to invite us in (of course she'd rather not), says "Come in, we just had some snacks."