Heather

El's POV

"Mike..." I said, burying my face into his shoulder, my voice breaking.
"What is it?" He asked, worried and confused.
I pulled away, meeting his gaze.
"I can feel you again. You're not glitching," I said, smiling, tears filling my eyes. I hadn't been able to hug Mike in over a year. It was a wonderful feeling, being able to feel his embrace once more.
"You're right! I'm not glitching anymore! This is great!" He exclaimed, giving me a genuine smile. I smiled back.
"But, how?" I thought aloud, pondering.

Mike turned around, examining his surroundings. No one else was around. Heather had stayed behind, and Marianna and Laura were nowhere to be seen.
"Where is everyone?" Mike asked me.
I shrugged.
"I mean, I know where Heather is. I guess she decided to mend those broken bridges with us, eh?" He said, turning to me.
I looked down, carefully thinking about what he had said.
"We have to go back for her."
Mike turned, looking shocked.
"What? Are you crazy?"
"We have to, Mike. She did that to save us. We can't leave her behind."
"Well, that was her choice!"
I glared at Mike.
"Mike, we can't just leave her at the hands of Brenner. He does terrible things to people like us. We're her only hope," I said, looking Mike dead in the eyes.
Mike sighed, looking down.
"You don't have to come, Mike. Go back to the boys. It'd be safer to stay with them, after everything that has happened," I said.
Mike looked up at me, with an expression I could not read.
"No, El. I don't agree with this idea, but you do have a point. If you're going to go back for Heather, I won't make you go alone. You'll need help. You'll need me."