X.

This is not a coincidence.

And far more than a lucky chance

But what it is that was always meant.

- Stevie Wonder

Am I a pessimist?

Am I a pessimist?

History has shown that it is quite laughable that Americans celebrate Thanksgiving and yet every year, we flood the grocery stores spending hundreds of dollars to prepare a meal for a large number of people who we most likely won't see or communicate with until the very next year when they've come to freeload from our dining room table all over again for the same ol' holiday. It's all in "thanks" though, right?

I think Thanksgiving is more of a performance for my mother than it is a time for thankfulness and bonding. It often feels like the event of the month for the neighborhood and she seems to hypothetically leave the door open for anyone to either drop by to have a couple of words with her or sit down to have a plate of the feast made by the hands of she, my sister, and myself. It's also a day for her to head into her closet to pull out pieces of her more expensive attire that she likely purchased with my Nordstrom credit card.

Today, when the apron came off, she only claimed to be freshening up, but upon exiting her bedroom she was donning a Roland Mouret dress and Christian Louboutin "Piagelle" pumps. I found myself scratching my head in confusion at the manner in which the pale orange material skimmed over her frame like a second skin. Though subtle, the seams were angular in their waist-defining approach. I hadn't seen her wear anything that formfitting since the last date night she and my father enjoyed before his untimely death. The pearl set she paired with it was typical. She swears every woman should have a set of them though the world has certainly moved on to strictly gem stones. Thankfully, she didn't put together a clutch bag or purse because I probably would have screamed in mental agony at how ridiculous she would have looked. Like a woman competing for a pageant, she's been working the rooms filled with people all throughout the house for clout that she doesn't need in the slightest.

"You still hiding in this corner?" I didn't have to look up to know it was Kyle. Every year he flies up here from Miami to spend the holiday with Preston and my sister, so he ends spending the holiday right here in Brooklyn at my mom's like the rest of us.

Initially, I thought they'd pushed Kyle in my direction because we're not that far apart in age and could probably relate on some things, but over these past two years I now know it's because yet again Celeste thinks that she's found someone who can be a good match for me. She does her most fucked up rendition of cupid whenever she comes across a man who she'd be interested in herself if she weren't married and then she pushes him in my direction. I fell for her bullshit with Shamel but it will never happen again. Also, her husband's brother? That's entirely too close for comfort.

"It's my preferred place to be when I'm not feeling the atmosphere."

"What are you drinking?"