Shades of Gray

Nines had been speculating lately regarding about his human partner, Detective Gavin Reed. But the android brushed those thoughts so he can focus more on their investigation. In the back corner of his programming, he wants to know if something was wrong with the human.

Ever since both had began working together, the RK900 noticed something off with him. Not just the attitude, I mean that's a part. But, mostly on how the human sees things.

Gavin would never specify things according to their colors. Well it was unnoticeable for others, but as for the RK900? That is something.

Back to the police work, they're in patrol as usual. Going around the city searching for trouble or just checking to see if someone makes one.

Nines was driving the patrol car as the detective sat on the passenger seat. Suddenly they received a call from the station about a thief on the run. The android quickly drove to the location.

A few minutes later they reached the place and saw the fast pacing man running away. Gavin got out of the car first trying to chase after the suspect.

But when he was about to, the human paused. With the crowded streets he can't distinguish who will he run after.

The RK900 frowned. "The one wearing a blue jacket!" He exclaimed as the victim approach him seeking for help. Nines noticed Gavin's stress levels shot up quickly when he mentioned the color of the man's clothing. It made the android worried and even more skeptical.

"The man wearing a hoodie with a band logo behind it, he's wearing dark shaded denims!" Nines added.

The detective focused on the crowed and finally saw their man. "Got it!'' He shouted then chased after him.

When the RK900 finally pacified and reassured the victim he trailed behind Gavin. Making sure he was chasing the right suspect. Which he was, and finally pinned him down to the ground and hand cuffing him.

"You're under arrest-" the police officer stopped him from struggling as he successfully handcuffed the guy.

"Good job, Gavin." Nines said as he followed his partner back to their patrol car.

"Yeah yeah, thank me later." He frowned taking the suspect back. The human know his android partner already knew his secret that he kept for so long.

Back to the station, they made a report and did some legal procedures on what to do next. It was pretty easy so it was finished quickly.

Nines was in the break room, enjoying a pack of thirium after a long day of work. Gavin is in his desk, maybe doing something to entertain him before entering the night shift.

The android noticed the grumpy police lieutenant making himself a cup of coffee. Some of his coworkers said to ask Hank about things about other officers because he's the one who knows every single information to anyone. But of course, you need to ask him harder to spill the tea. Or unless you're very close to the old man to the point of trusting you. Like how he trusted Connor.

"Lieutenant?" Nines called the old man.

"If it's about Reed. For the second time, I won't tell." Hank sighed and looked at the RK900.

"I just want to clarify things, Hank." The android replied.

"Fine, if Connor trusts you. Then I will." The old man answered. "So what is it?"

"Its about the detective's eye sight." Nines added.

"That.." The lieutenant looked down.

"My speculations are true then. He is..."

"Don't continue that, I already knew about that sh*t." Hank sighed.

"You knew it all along?" Nines sighed. "Then why let him continue to work? You know the rules."

"In all honestly, he's one of the officers who were doing a great job in this department. And I've seen him work, he's good in his field." Lieutenant Anderson replied. "He'll be a lost to the force."

"What about Captain Fowler? Does he know?"

"He doesn't and you're the only one who found out." Hank answered. "So you're going to report this aren't you?"

"I know how to hide secrets, Lieutenant." The RK900 chuckled. "I don't want the detective to loose his job and you'll be in trouble as well."

"Thanks, Nines." The lieutenant added. "I know it'll be hard but, can I ask you a favor?''

"Of course, what is it?"

"Always check on Reed, got it? He's a bit of a risk taker and he wouldn't care if he gets hurt on field." The police lieutenant said.

"That's why Fowler assigned me to him." The RK900 grinned. "To be his nanny."

"You prick." Hank chuckled. "I'll get back to my desk, see you later." Nines smiled softly and as the old man did the same.

Time to find his partner, the android thought to himself. He noticed that the detective was no longer in his desk, so Nines decided to find him.

A few minutes of a game called 'find the rat'. The RK900 finally found him in the rooftop, smoking while looking at the view.

"Smoking is bad for your health." Nines frowned and approached him. "You shouldn't do that."

"F*ck off." Gavin looked at the android. "Don't tell me what to do."

"About the chase earli-"

"How did you know?"

"Your stress levels shot up when I told you the color of the suspect's jacket." The android replied. "And Hank confirmed it as well."

"Oh, that old man." The detective took a deep breath. "Don't worry, I'll pass my resignation letter later."

"I'm not intending to report your state to the captain, detective." Nines added as he looked at the over looking view of Detroit.

"You know the rules, Nines. I can't see colors, I'm out of the force. The exam just got an error that's why I passed." Gavin answered and put his cigarette away. "And you already know it. I don't really trust you on hiding that kind of information."

"You don't?"

"Nope. I don't trust any androids." The detective started to walk away.

"You don't trust your own partner?" Nines said as the human stopped. "Gavin, we've been partners for almost six months now. You've told me secrets far more worst than this, and you don't trust me?"

"This is differe-"

"I assure you, I will not tell anyone of this. Not even Connor nor Tina. Just like how I never told your other secrets, got it?" Nines looked at the detective and walked to him. "You don't need to leave."

"Fine." He sighed loudly.

Nines sighed also in relief and smiled. "Let's go back, our night shift is starting. And you want me to teach you colors?"

"Phck you." Gavin chuckled and playfully punched the RK900.

----
A/N for the ones who read "Red Turns Blue" (the Reed900 story I've been working on) this was supposed to be a part of another chapter, but was brushed off the story due to inconsistent plots and even more holes to the fic.

The title was weird, idk what to name it xd