Chapter 20 - Going home

Start from the beginning

"Looking forward to hearing about that!" said Ronon.

John looked around.  "We OK to stay for a bit?" he said.  "The Daedalus is up there right?  Colonel Caldwell doesn't want to shoot off right away, does he?"

"I will check, but we should have time," said Teyla.

"I'll get one of the kids to bring the bigger boat round," said John. "I don't think we'd all fit in mine!"

Teyla having cleared it with Colonel Caldwell, they soon found themselves being rowed round to the island fort, and, the tower lookout having spotted John with the two strangers, word had gone out and there was a welcoming committee on the landing stage.  Teyla climbed onto the wooden jetty with her customary assured agility and found herself face-to-face with a regal-looking lady dressed in green.

"This is Teyla," said John, leaping out of the boat onto the jetty, "and this is Ronon," gestured John as Ronon stepped up behind him.  John introduced his friends to Breesha and Coll, Vorra and Kerran, Orrin and Aylish and Breesha greeted them in English, saying, "You are welcomed by the people of the Hill and the Island." She had insisted on being taught an appropriate greeting by Rodney, having come across him one day in a melancholy mood, convinced that the Daedalus could not get through and they would never get home. "Teach me what to say when your friends come for you!" she had said.

There was a disturbance at the back of the group and Rodney pushed his way through, to embrace both Teyla and Ronon in turn, going bright red in the face and grinning broadly, pelting them with questions and comments.

"You made it through the asteroid belt!  How did it take so long? Not that I'm not grateful!  Did you blast them with the rail guns? Is there a path we can get back through?  I bet Zelenka held the whole thing up with doubts and difficulties!"

Teyla flung up her hands, "It is a long story, Rodney.  We did our best, but the IOA delayed us."

"What've they got to do with it?" said Rodney, crossly.

"They didn't want to 'waste resources' on us, did they?" said John drily.

"They did not," Teyla replied.  "But Radek came up with a way of mining the asteroids for precious minerals while we were in flight, so we were allowed to go ahead."

"Oh!" said Rodney.  "Well, good old Zelenka, then.  Credit where credit's due and all that!"

The happy group made their way into the fort and to the longhouse where they sat down and ale, bread and cheese were brought.

John and Rodney told their friends of their time on the island, their initial shock at the loss of the gate, their struggles to survive and their attack by the raiders.  They told of their rescue by the warriors of the Hill and their subsequent decision to help take a stand against the raiders. Ronon was enthusiastic about their use of C4 and Teyla looked at Vorra with admiration when Rodney told of her prowess with his Beretta.

Teyla could tell there was much that went unsaid, however.  She saw and enjoyed the relaxed relationship between her friends, she observed that both had suffered during their time on the island, but that their experiences had brought new perspective on their lives, especially to John.  He seemed close especially to Breesha; they talked rapidly in her language and she seemed to have no compunction in admonishing him about not only paddling his coracle when his wrist was not yet healed, but getting the bandages wet too.  She stripped them off and resplinted the wrist while she was talking, meeting Teyla's eye as if to say, "This one's always in trouble!" Teyla smiled back in agreement.

Teyla heard a voice in her ear and, listening, replied.  "We will be ready, Colonel." She turned to John and Rodney.  "Half an hour," she said.

"You must leave now," said Breesha.  She paused, uncertain.  "You have ... a ship?"

"Yeah, erm... actually a starship," said John.

Breesha smiled, amazed.  "You travel in a ship that sails the stars.  How do you board this ship?"

John looked almost embarrassed.  "Well, we kind of disappear in a flash of light," he said.

"A flash of light," Breesha repeated, with determined calm.  "Is it safe?"

John shrugged.  "So they tell me."

Breesha stood.  "We would all like to say our farewells to you both.  I will have your belongings gathered and everyone will assemble."

oOo

John and Rodney stood in the central clearing, surrounded by new friends and old, their belongings tied into bundles at their feet.  Both still wore their 'Iron Age' clothes, Rodney with his customary twitching at his cape to achieve graceful folds, John still barefoot and scruffy and determined to make the most of it before returning to uniform.

Farewells had been said around the gathered circle of Islanders and Hillfolk, with many embraces and much back-slapping, Coll and Orrin had given firm warriors handshakes, Vorra's dignity deserted her and she hugged both men tearfully.

Breesha spoke, as usual for everyone.  "You have treated us with honour and we hope we have honoured you in return.  There will always be a place for you here."

She turned and spoke to Rodney.

"We thank you, Rodney, for the strengthening of our defenses and our weapons and the skills and methods you have shared with us." The carpenters and smith cheered and several of the warriors roared and shook their pila above their heads.

Breesha turned to John. 

"You have found a measure of peace here, John," she said.  "Do not lose it when you return to your world.  Retain in your heart the goodwill of those of the Hill and the Island.  Remember our homes and our hearths, our heather-clad hills and our shifting seas."

John smiled.  "I won't forget," he said.

Teyla spoke into her earpiece.  "Standing by, Colonel."

A flash of white light and they were gone.  Breesha stood still and for once words failed her.  Then she lifted her chin and strode away through the dispersing crowd to begin preparations for her return to the Hillfort.  Life would return to normal, duties would be resumed; and Breesha was a woman who thrived on duty.

oOo

John left his quarters on the Daedalus and headed for the commissary.  Everything felt cold and sterile.  He missed the open air, the wind on his face, the smell of the sea.  He missed the funny little coracle and his new friends.  He was showered, shaved and uniformed and to all appearances back to the old Lieutenant Colonel Sheppard.  But his uniform felt stiff, the strapping the infirmary staff had put on his wrist felt tight.  He wanted a real fire and a mug of ale.

He turned the corner into the commissary and stood still.  Teyla and Ronon and Rodney sat round a table, together.  They turned and looked at him and the welcome and pleasure in their eyes made his heart lift.  He would always miss the people of the Hill and the Island, and he would always remember them when the fresh, salty, ocean breeze of Atlantis swept through its Ancient halls and corridors.  But his true home was here.  With his team.