Chapter 15 - Fight

Start from the beginning

Coll's eyes fell on John and Rodney and he spoke to Orrin, who looked impressed by John's appearance.  Coll looked at John speculatively and John thought that if he was hoping for another firearms demonstration he was going to be disappointed.  But that wasn't what Coll had in mind at all.

They approached and Coll spoke, gesturing to the three practicing groups as if to say to John, "Which is it to be?"

Rodney groaned.  "Did I say something foolish and reckless? I think this qualifies!"

John looked at Coll.  He knew that this could be his chance to impress Orrin.  He also got the impression that Coll needed to see John compete on their terms in order to give John his full backing, rather than relying on his weapons to give him an edge.

John sighed.  He knew he'd have no chance with the spears.  The wooden swords were a possibility if he used the techniques Teyla had taught him with her bantos rods.  Unarmed combat he could do, but there were some tricky issues involved; firstly, the unarmed combat group were all huge.  John knew he could take any of them down one-on-one, but he would have to be quick and decisive and not give his opponent a chance to use his superior size and strength.  Which led him to the other problem; John's quick, decisive techniques were those he had learnt carrying out black-ops and tended to result in fatalities, which wouldn't leave a good impression.  So, back to the swords.  They were practice long-swords, designed for slashing rather than stabbing.  They consisted merely of a blade, round-ended, and a hilt with no cross-piece; so far, so similar to a bantos rod.  There were also some similarities with bantos fighting technique, but enough differences to give John an advantage.

John turned to Coll.  "Swords," he said, pointing.

"This is such a bad idea," Rodney said, worriedly.

"I need to do this, Rodney," said John, looking at him intently.  "I need to earn their trust.

"I don't see why they should trust you more just because you can beat someone with a wooden stick!" spluttered Rodney.  "But, yes, I agree, it'll impress them.  The question is, can you do it?"

"I've got one or two ideas," grinned John.

"Right, then," said Rodney. "If you're going to do this, do it properly.  First you need to strip off, like them."

All the other combatants wore just their leggings and boots; there was a lot of posing going on and flexing of muscles.

"I don't think that'll be impressive," mumbled John, shiftily.

"Yes.  It will," said Rodney, who had taken charge and was enjoying the fact. "These people look the type to be impressed by scars and you've got plenty."

"They're more likely to think I just get beat up all the time, and I don't know how to say: 'You should see the other guy!' in their language."

Rodney glared at him.  John sheepishly began to remove his P90 and tac vest.

"Second," continued Rodney, "you need to make a show of it.  Not that quick and dirty stuff you do when it's real.  Manly posturing is what's needed here!"

John, unbuttoning his shirt, looked even more shifty.  "That's not really my style, Rodney."

"Well, make it your style!" Rodney insisted.  "You wanted an opportunity to impress, so impress!"

John took off his shirt and, reluctantly, his t-shirt.  There was a general rumble of approval from the men.  Rodney was right; they were the type to be impressed by scars, although John wondered if he'd just committed a tactical error.  His opponent would be able to see the fresh scar on his arm and would probably take advantage.

A space had been cleared for the fight and John's opponent stepped forward.  Kerran. Not looking so good-humoured now, a wooden blade in his hand, as if it were a natural extension of his arm.  Coll passed John a sword and he tested it for balance and tried a few moves with it, just some simple passes so as not to reveal any of the unusual techniques he intended to try.  The wooden weapon was well-balanced and felt good in his hand.  He gave a small smile.  He had practiced fighting Teyla with one stick to her two.  He knew his reactions were quick; this might be fun.

John and Kerran circled each other, each studying their opponent.  Kerran seemed a straightforward kind of man, not given to hiding his emotions; John wondered if he would use much guile and deceit in his fighting style. He gave his sword a circular flourish as he would with a bantos rod and watched Kerran's eyes move to the blade; he could be distracted then.  John moved forward quickly trying a flurry of strikes, scoring some minor hits, testing Kerran's defences.  Kerran's eyes narrowed, focussing on John's, trying to see the attacks coming.  He became more determined, launching his own attack and driving John back towards the edge of the circle.  Their blades locked, but John gave way to one side and rolled underneath Kerran's arm, reversing their positions and striking Kerran's back as he rose.  Kerran instantly whirled round and managed to strike John's cheek before John had regained his balance.  John, momentarily disoriented, didn't see the next blow coming and took the full force on his half-healed arm, splitting the skin and surprising from him a gasp of pain. At this point his training with the bantos rods became crucial; he transferred the blade to his left hand, knowing that he was just as effective fighting left-handed.  Kerran found it more difficult to counter John's attacks, which came in thick and fast from unexpected directions, striking him about his shoulders and ribs.  John decided to end it.  He flourished his blade and feinted to the right, Kerran's eyes following the blade's confusing movements.  Then he hit hard at Kerran's arm, driving his blade out of the way and moving past him to come at him from behind.  Unfortunately, John caught a hefty blow on his ribs as he passed, but he succeeded in pulling Kerran's head back with his blade under his chin, and thrusting his body forward with his knee, leaving Kerran helpless.  Thank you, Teyla, thought John, breathing heavily.

Kerran dropped his sword and waved his hand in submission.  John released his choke-hold and Kerran slumped to the ground, rubbing his throat.

The problem now was that John was genuinely annoyed.  He was trying to help these people and now he was battered and in pain; his arm hadn't been completely healed and this had definitely set it back.  And it hadn't even been a proper fight, not like real fighting where your life and the lives of others were at stake.  These people needed to see what he was really about.

John flung aside the sword angrily and marched across to the men who had been practicing unarmed combat.  He sized, them up, pointed to the largest and said: "You! Here! Now!"

The man strode out eagerly, flexing his arms and posturing to the crowd.  John didn't give him a chance. Battered and sore as he was, he allowed the adrenaline to flood his body and fought as if his opponent were Genii, Wraith, anyone who dared to threaten his team, his city, his world.  In a few practiced, decisive moves John floored the man and only held back when he had his head in a hold that could clearly result in a broken neck, were he to apply more force.  The crowd was shocked, silent.  John released the man and staggered over to Rodney, the adrenaline fast leaving his system leaving him feeling sick and in pain.

"Um... that was what I meant," said Rodney.  "That was your life-or-death, save-the-world expression." He looked round at the stunned faces.  "Yes, I think I can safely say that did the job."