The S-Word

"Don't drop them!" I yell at Vincent as he balances the tower of cupcake cases. The door swings open as I do so, and Carson stands at the front. 

"Hey, Wendy. You're here early," he says. 

"Ally asked me to bring the cupcakes early so she can put them on the display," I explain. 

"Oh, for that giant cupcake stand she made me and Logan make," Carson groans. "Sorry if she bothered you. She's just really excited."

"It's no problem. Here," I hand Carson a gift bag with a bow-tied bear on the front.

"How's your conversation going?" Vincent asks. "Don't worry about me. It's not like I need help," he sarcastically remarks, setting down the cupcakes on the pavement before the boxes start slipping off one another. Vincent takes one box in at a time, slipping past Carson and I as we continue to talk.

"I also made some brownies and cookies," I tell Carson. "I figured since the cupcakes are for the gender reveal, it'd be good to have some other desserts people can eat before."

"Really? So you know the gender already?"

"No, Ally just gave me the envelope with the ultrasound picture. I gave it to Luke and he's the one who frosted the cupcakes for me."

"I wanna know so bad!" Carson groans. "I kept trying to check the gender during the ultrasound, but it was too blurry to see."

"Well, you'll just have to wait to see," I laugh. 

"How do you know I just won't take a cupcake to check?" he mischievously grins, eyeing the unprotected box of cupcakes Vincent has yet to bring inside. 

"Well, then you'll have to check nearly all the cupcakes."

"What do you mean? I can just look at the filling."

"Actually, each cupcake has a pink or blue topping and filling. The top has to match the filling to reveal the gender. Ally didn't want anyone trying to sneak a cupcake to know beforehand."

"Damn, she's smart!" Carson huffs. 

As Vincent walks out, he grabs Carson my the collar. 

"Stop standing there you lazy ass. Help me," Vincent chuckles, dragging Carson to the car. 

I pick up the gift Carson left by the door and take it inside to place on the present table, which only has a few gifts on it for now. There's chatter, which I follow until I reach the kitchen. 

"Hey, Wendy. We're making the party favors right now," Vivian says, holding up plastic treat bags and ribbon to show me. 

"I think my fingers are falling off," Evelyn whines, finishing a knot. 

"Where's Olivia?"

"Oh, she went with Logan to get more helium. They ran out and only half of the balloons are filled. Can you take over tying?"

"Sure," I nod, taking a seat in an empty chair as Evelyn passes me the bagged goodies and cut strands of ribbon. 

"Here, cut the ribbon then," Vivian hands Evelyn the ribbon and scissors before continuing to fill each bag with various snacks consisting of chocolates, gumballs, and yogurt pretzels. 

"Where's Ally?" I ask. 

"Oh, taking a power nap. She was stressed out all night, so she didn't sleep well," Vivian tells me. 

"It's like her wedding 2.0." Evelyn sighs. 

"This is a lot of stuff," I notice, looking at the buckets of goodies that still need to be packaged. "I was surprised Ally wanted me to make so much cupcakes."