Family

Greg's POV

Why can't they leave me in peace?

Both of them are standing in front of me, shouting and yelling back and forth, but I look down to see the lingering image of Wendy asleep by my side. I think about how, with her drool smeared face, she turned up to look at me staring at her. Then, with the tiniest squeak escaping her lips, she began to sob silently. As she rubbed her face with her arms, she smeared her tears and snot everywhere so that strands of hair stuck to her face. When the waterworks did stop, occasionally, she would stare at me for a while, blinking furiously before beginning the sobs again. It wasn't until I held out my arms to her that she went flying into my arms, sobbing as loud as I ever heard, her tiny body shaking the entire room. 

A chuckle escapes from me and the room goes quiet. 

"What's so funny?" she asks me, her hair flapping against her shoulders as she twists her red face at me. "Do you think all of this is funny?"

"I think you all are stupid, so yes," I respond, looking her straight in her eyes. For a moment, her eyes shake, never having met mine like this before. I refuse to hang my head anymore. 

"You're the one who got yourself in this situation. I'm only trying to fix it," she tells me. 

He scoffs from the other side of the room. 

"Huh, fix this? You only ruin shit."

"Fuck you. Go back to your new family and leave us alone," she says. 

"Us? Wow, that's rich coming from the mother who abandoned her son."

"You abandoned us!"

"I left YOU. I never left Gregory," he insists. 

"I want both of you to leave," I interrupt before another argument erupts. 

They both stop to breathe in and regain composure. She's the first to approach me, reaching out her hands, but I retract mine and tuck them under the blanket. She forces a slight smile and pats me on the shoulder. 

"Listen, Gregory. I know I haven't been the best mother to you, but I know what's best for you. It's naive to leave all your assets in that Wendy girl's name. You should leave it to take care of your family." 

"Wendy's my family. She's my only family."

Her face turns hot again, but she continues slowly and without raising her voice. 

"How can you say that your mother's face?"

"You're not my mother. You gave up that role a long time ago." 

"You left me no choice. You told me to sign the papers-"

"No, you gave it up even before that. You never treated me like your son. I was just some kid you had to house and feed." 

"You make me seem heartless!"

"Then that's what you are," I retort. 

Her nostril flares and she throws her arms about and her voice becomes more shrill. 

"You know that girl is married right? She has her own family! She doesn't give a single fuck about you. You're some rich guy she seduced, and you're too fucking dumb to admit it. That whore-"

"Enough!" I shout, startling her into silence. I lower my voice again before continuing. "Don't you dare say anything about her. Don't you dare ever say or do anything to her, or I'll do things one hundred times worse to you... This is my last warning. Just leave me alone. Live your life and pretend I don't exist, and I'll send you your money monthly until you fucking drop dead." 

She mouth opens to say something, but nothing leaves her lips. They quiver for a bit until tears starts to drip from her eyes. 

"Do you hate me that much? You want me to just die?" she asks me. 

"I don't care what happens to you. Just leave me alone, like you always have..." 

She doesn't say anything else, grabs her handbag from the corner table, and storms out, making sure to knock into him on the way out. 

He hesitantly steps up closer to me, but maintains his distance. 

"I'm sorry-" 

"Stop," I interrupt him before he can attempt the same thing she tried. "If you're really sorry, leave me alone too. I'll send you money like usual. Don't bother being courteous with the occasional texts anymore." 

"Gregory," he says, his head hanging. "I really am sorry. I didn't know how to be a good father, but now it's different now. I try to spend time with your brother and sister. I go to their games and their school plays," he speaks fondly, his forever dull eyes lighting up for the first time in front of me. "Our favorite thing to do is go watch your movies when they come out. They've been wanting to meet their older brother for a while now-"

"I don't think you understand. They're your children, but they're not my siblings."

He stiffens up. 

"It's good that you have the family you've always wanted. What more could you ask for? Is it money? Will money make your life picture perfect?" 

He sighs. 

"I admit it. Money was tight, and I needed your help. Your brother was a newborn, and you know how expensive that kind of stuff gets. But raising your siblings made me realize how much I love being a father. I should've been the same for you. I'm sorry."

I hate this.

His words, although gentle and calm, earnest and sincere, felt worse than the curses and bitterness he used to spit at me. His words used to be needles, but now they were daggers. I used to think that he couldn't help but be terrible to me, because he had only been terrible and he only knew that. But now I know it wasn't that he couldn't help it, he just didn't want to...not for me. 

"I want us to be a real family this time, Gregory," he tells me, taking a deep breath afterwards. 

"You already have your real family," I remind him. "Worry about not messing up twice."

"You're right... I won't," he nods as he backs away. 

"I'm tired, so please close the door quietly on your way out," I sigh, turning over in the bed. 

"Sure." 

I hear his footsteps and the slight creak of the door. I wait for the click, but there is a moment of stillness.

"Bye, Gregory," he says with the click following soon after, without giving me time to reply. 

He was never there, but at least he knows me enough to know that I wouldn't have said bye back. 

*****

Short chapter because I decided to split it up to improve the flow of the story. Hope it was still enjoyable :)