5

Socializing With The Candidates

Dinner was served, each group conversing amongst themselves.

Queen Octavia had arranged the seating in such a way, that the women were seated in groups of two, with pack members seated with them. Bringing the table seating at each table to six. Except the main table. The center of the dining hall was clear. When dancing and socializing would take place later, after dinner. The high arched glass doorways to left, leading to the balcony and the enclosed garden were open, allowing the sweetened scent of spring to filter in.

Leo clasped his mate's hand in his, drawing her attention towards him, he bent his head, whispering in her ear, "I owe you. Seeing Mateo's reaction to Serena, I believe she is his mate. Let's hope he isn't too stubborn to admit it."

Octavia squeezed his hand, "I also hope that his stubbornness, doesn't make him lose her. There is just something special about her, we got to recruit those closest to Mateo to help us." She answered, glad that her mate picked up on the vibe. But a thought emerged in her mind, "We better install discreet security measures to protect her. If we noticed, perhaps those who are instigating those rogue attacks, also noticed."

"True, I will put it into effect as soon as possible." Leo assured Octavia.

Mateo could barely eat, he was filled with nervous tension, soon he had to mingle and dance with each candidate, those he could do with cold detachment. But, the thought of having Serena in his arms, drew a desire so intense, he had to shift in his seat, an ache in his groin. His shaft hardening, just imagining her so close to him, having her in his embrace. Deciding it was best to leave her for last, he prepared himself mentally to the task ahead.

Mateo watched as his Dad stood up, a glass of wine in his one hand and a spoon in the other. His father tapped the spoon against the glass, drawing the crowds attention to him, "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome all. The choosing will take place over the next month. Hopefully your King and my son will find his chosen. Let us support and encourage his courtship with respect. And now on a lighter note, let the dancing commence. I know I need the exercise, after so much good food." Bowing his head, he sat down, queuing the band to start the music.

Octavia looked across to Mateo, letting him know what is expected next, with just a gaze. Irritated, Mateo threw his napkin down onto the table. Pushing back his chair, he stood up. Walking towards the first candidate.

"May please have this dance?" Mateo asked Katie, extending his hand out to her.

"Yes." Katie responded, putting her hand into his, allowing him to lead her towards the dance floor.

"Stubborn fool. Why didn't he go to Serena?" Rocco exclaimed.

"Leave him be. While he is occupied, I need to discuss something of great importance to you guys." Octavia admonished, hoping that Mateo's friends would help, "As you can see, we don't have much time, so listen carefully. Serena is important, I need you guys to help bring those two together, subtly of course!" Looking pointedly at Rocco.

"What...?" Rocco blubbered.

"Hush now! We know how you like to push everyone's buttons. Mara keep him in line." Octavia spoke.

"Of course, I know how to do it." Mara smiled, looking at Rocco directly.

Rocco squirmed under Mara's gaze, defeated he looked down, knowing just by that gaze, what she was capable of.

"Whipped!" Neo whispered.

Rocco's head snapped up, glaring at Neo, fuming with rage.

"Enough! Both of you." Leo ordered, "Let's listen to Octavia."

Both men bowed their heads in submission. "Right... clearly we see that both Mateo and Serena are attracted to each other. But, they are going to need encouragement from us. Girls get close to Serena discreetly. Guy's you also get to know her. And encourage Mateo, but don't push him too fast. Also, Leo is setting up security measures to protect Serena, if we noticed, our enemies have also. Everyone on the same page?" Octavia looked around at those she trusted, watching as they all modded in confirmation, "Good, now get out there and mingle."

Everyone got up, to move around and mingle. Octavia and Leo sat back, watching the crowd.

Serena was frustrated, hours have passed, since she arrived this morning. She was irritable and tired. Her smile was stiff, trying to be respectful to those around her, she carried on through the crowd, slowly inching her way towards the arched doorways, hoping being outdoors will help with her pounding headache.
At last...she was outside, taking in a deep breath, her muscles relaxing, she moved down towards the garden, following the lighted path. Finding a bench to one side, near a fountain. She sat down, rubbing her temple, hoping to ease the throbbing pain there. She knew this was a tension headache, created by today's activities. Leaving the pack, traveling, confrontation with Sara, getting ready for dinner. But, the biggest stress, was her attraction to Mateo and it didn't help watching him dance away with each candidate, ignoring her. Internally screaming in frustration, she was angry at herself. How can she be jealous of the other women, she only looked at Mateo for a few moments, how is it possible to feel these emotions so soon.

Mateo was tired, he had already danced with almost all the candidates, currently he was dancing with Sara, his concentration on high alert, Sara was clingy, often he had to move her hand upwards and her voice grated on his nerves. Looking across the dance floor, he searched out for his friends, hoping that one of them would save him. Seeing Mara, he signalled to her for help, relieved that she picked up on his request. She spoke to Rocco, both moving towards him, Rocco following in her lead.

"May I have this dance. You promised me one today, since you owe me!" Mara sweetly interrupted. Manouvering around swiftly, replacing Rocco in Sara's arms, before the other woman could react. Taking Mateo as far from Sara as quickly as possible, without a rude incident occurring.

Mateo was impressed, "I can now see and respect Rocco's submission. You work fast and I barely had time to blink."

Laughing, Mara patted Mateo, "No problem. It comes naturally. Now let me go save my man from that viper. And you go find Serena, you can't avoid her this whole month. So, suck it up, grow a pair, put on your man pants..." Mara ordered, leaving Mateo on the sidelines.

Mateo shook his head, Mara was a character. Probably that is why she was Rocco's mate, only a strong woman could handle him.

Admitting temporary defeat, he searched for Serena, not seeing her in the crowd, he asked around. Members had seen her walk outside.

Grateful, he was glad she wasn't indoors, being under everyone's scrutiny was getting to him. And being alone with her, was an exciting prospect. Hoping he could catch her, before she came indoors, he rushed with dignity, as fast as he could towards the garden, trying to not to draw his escape.

Relief rushed through him, when finally, he was outside. Moving with anticipation, searching for Serena.

When a loud sound broke the peaceful silence...