Chapter 16- A Flat with Love

Sitting in CUPS coffee shop on a Saturday night, the three of us, Andretta, Annalise and I had spent the past two hours comparing notes on what we had found for Community Oriented Policing. Our group had exchanged numbers so that we could arrange when and where we could meet up to discuss the final project. Three weeks have passed and Annalise and I have taken every possible opportunity to make each other miserable. We'd already began to argue over who was going to do what as far as putting the presentation together.

"Dammit Ettore! Can we please just get through this? I'm not in the mood for this shit tonight!" She snaps running her hand through her now straight hair. She's wearing black yoga pants, a white shirt, navy blue Nike pullover and black Nike tennis shoes.

"I understand that you guy's hate each other" Andretta laughs sarcastically eyeing me with a smile "but please leave me out of it."

"Alright, however y'all want to do it. You have a problem with that sunshine?" I ask looking at Annalise.

"Ugh!" She groans throwing her hands up. "Fine! Andretta can do the history, Ettore you can do the laws that it concerns, and I will do how the method works within the community. If you guys want I can also create the power point and email it to you for proofing before we present. You guys okay with that?" She says rolling her eyes at me. Damn I loved to ruffle her feathers.

"Well if we have that little bit out of the way, I think I'm going to head out" Andretta says packing her stuff. "I can't take war of the Roses' anymore."

"Yeah. Me too. I don't think I can take another minute with general tight ass over here." Annalise huffs with another eye roll in my direction.

"If I actually had any feelings that might've actually hurt darlin" I reply placing a hand over my heart with a hurt look on my face

"Exactly! If you had feelings. Which we all know that you don't." She snaps.

"You guys are unbelievable. I'll see you guys on Monday." Andretta laughs her shaking her head as she heads for the door.

"Okay, Bye." Annalise says with a wave while unplugging her laptop.

"You want me to walk you to your car?" 

"I'm a big girl Ettore. I think I can take care of myself!" She snaps heading for the door.

Little did she know, she wasn't going anywhere just yet. I wait around for a good ten minutes before I head outside to find her sitting in her car with the door open. "Something wrong darlin?" I ask her knowing full well what the problem was.

"Unfortunately yes. I have a flat tire and my spare is flat too!" She sighs in frustration.

"Oh, well do you need some help?" It was amazing what these claws could do. One little slash was all it had taken to flat her tire and a universal key had allowed me access to her car to let the air out of the spare a couple of days ago. Certus had taken care to tie up that bastard of a boyfriend of hers. I'm sure that mysterious break in at Lady Treadway's mansion would tie him up for a while. Yeah, I could truly be an asshole when I wanted to be.

"No, I'm calling William now so that he can come and pick me up." She replies dialing his number.

"I'll stay until I know you're going to be okay" I say sounding concerned and I was. I really didn't want anything to happen to her.

"Since when do you give a shit about my safety!?" 

"Hey baby. Can you come pick me up? I have a flat." There's a moment of silence as she listens. "Oh, you're on a call? Oh. No no. That's okay. I'll find a way" She ends the call and pinches the bridge of her nose.

"Do you need a ride home?" 

"No, I'll call a cab." She said giving me an overly fake smile. I wait as she makes several phone calls to different cab companies. Finally she hangs up the phone is defeat. Unbeknownst to her I had heard all of the conversations even the one with her dear William. The companies either had all fleets busy or were insanely high. Eighty dollars for six miles was pretty damn steep. More like highway robbery. Those companies knew how to really hike up prices on the weekends especially when there were major events in town. 

"Are you sure you don't need a ride?"

"No Ettore! I would rather walk than ride in the same car as you!" She spits slamming the car door as she turns to walk away. There's no way in the hell I'm going to let her walk. There were too many blood thirsty vampires who would love a snack.

"Look, I know we're not the best of friends but I can't let you walk home Annalise." I reply grabbing her arm.

"Why not? All you do is make my life a living hell!" She says her eye blazing under the glow of the streetlight.

"Well, what can I say?" I start and instantly regret it. She tries to snatch her arm away from me but I held tight.

"I say go to hell!" She snarls as venom laces her voice.

"Annalise just get in the car." I reply calmly raking my free hand through my hair.

"Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I'm not going anywhere with you!" She says loudly trying to draw attention.

"Dammit Annalise! Just get in the fucking car and let me take you home!" I hiss coldly making her jump as she stares at me with shock and fear.

"Fine." She mutters. "Is this you?" She asks pointing at my grey jeep beside her car. "Yes." I reply internally regretting how I'd just addressed her as I unlock the door before walking around to the driver's side. Interesting. She knew what kind of car I drove.

"Thanks for opening my door for me." She snaps sarcastically.

"What?" 

"Nothing" She mutters again as she opens the door to get in.

I have to take a deep breath as I slide into the driver's seat. I'm nervous as hell having her in the car with me. "Where do you live?" I ask her as I crank the jeep and pull out of the parking space.

"Belmont Avenue across town in the Riverwalk Condos." She says in a low voice as she stares out of the window. The ride across town is eerily quiet and I feel as if I'm holding my breath.

"What number are you?" I ask her as we pull into the apartment complex.

"8506. Keep straight and then make a left. It's the building closest to the river" She answers. Pulling into a parking spot I shut off the jeep.

"I know it's only a short walk but I would feel better if you let me walk you in." 

"Fine. Whatever." She snaps quietly grabbing her bag. We walk in silence as we head up the stairs to her condo.

"I guess the next thing you're going to ask is to come in and do a walk through of my condo since you're suddenly so concerned about my safety huh?" She says tiredly.

"No, I wasn't actually but I do need to use the men's room." I lie.

"I guess you wouldn't take a go piss around the side of the building would you?" She replies as she opens the door and steps inside.

"No, I wouldn't." I laugh. I loved her smartass comebacks

"Come on in then." She sighs dropping her keys on the table and flipping on the light.

My thoughts begin to race as I look around the condo. Everything is Egyptian themed in colors of black and gold. The carpet is a light cream color, the furniture is black suede, and the tables are of black wrought iron and glass. Various Egyptian Gods and pyramids are on the shelves that were on either side of the television. The lamps are statues of the Goddess Isis with an onyx held high over her head and there are various paintings and reproductions of hieroglyphics that hang on the walls. Black and gold drapes hang across the doorway leading to what I assume to be a balcony.

"May I?" I ask nodding over to the balcony door.

"Sure. Why not? I would tell you to make yourself at home but you might get like a stray dog and not leave." She spits. "Oh, and by the way bathroom is down the hall to the left. That is if you even need to use it." She finishs before walking down the hall to her bedroom.