chapter 11.

HERMIONE POV

I do not know what came over me, but I sneered. "Well, well, well, what do we have here? The great Ron Weasley did not become the Minister? Aww, how sad, now you won't be able to 'remove' me.  Oh, I know! I can do that for you, now, can't I?" I added mockingly.

Suddenly there was a loud sound of glass splintering, and I looked down to find a fist clutched around what appeared to be the remnants of the stem, while two varying thicknesses and shades of red fluids coalesced.

"Oh no, look what you did there. You have to pay the fine for that, you know? Why did you break something you don't have the money to pay for?"

His face was red with rage, and I could tell he was struggling to not strangle me, but I had enough of his antics.

It was time for revenge.

"Don't worry, Won-Won, consider it waived off. Ah, so many perks of being the Minister! Don't you think so?"

"You bit-"

I fixed him with a narrowed down stare, and tilted my head to the side, daring him to say another word. His expression morphed into fear, and he quickly scuttled off with his tail between his legs. I then made my, regrettably interrupted, way to the bar, and ordered myself a triple shot of tequila. I gulped them all at once, and winced as the fiery liquid travelled down my throat, leaving me coughing and teary-eyed. I didn't bother with the lemon or salt, which I rued.

"Woah, woah, woah, Granger! Lots of shots you got there. Calm the eff down!" Draco said.

He really had a knack for appearing out of nowhere.

I fixed him with The Look, but he just laughed. "What's the matter, mon cheri? Are all the people begging you to clear their files? Are they serenading you with songs and flowers? Or did you get another pleasant visit from Weaselbee?"

"Ugh. Don't even get me started. I swear to God, just the sight of him infuriates me to such an extent. Numbskull clod, lying snivelling git-" I broke off my tirade when I saw Draco tight-lipped, trying to control his laughter.

I put my hands on my hip and glared at him. "I'm sorry, is this fucking funny to you?"

He laughed more, and I lunged at him, but he just stepped back, as if he was expecting it. Damn those Seeker reflexes!

"I love watching the great Granger in fiery action. If I had my way, I'd be holding pom-poms and cheering for you, whilst you hex Weaselbee. Preferably after you-"

I grabbed his tie, and pulled him close. His face was merely inches from mine, and I could smell his minty breath, and even a slight aroma of his absolutely inviting cologne, earthy and-

I snapped out of the trance.

"I'm not in the bloody mood to jest. Do you get that?" I said, enunciating every syllable.

My eyes must've flashed anger, because he raised his hands in surrender.

I let him go, and immediately my heart complained of the space between us. My logical side was out of order too, because it kept imagining scenarios on how I could close this albeit little expanse. I could step closer to him, put my hands around his neck-

WAIT.

WHAT THE HELL WAS HAPPENING?

Why was I suddenly a love struck puppy? Why was I delving into plans on how to entice Draco? Why was I constantly looking for ways to get close to him?

"Earth to Hermione! What in Merlin's name are you fawning over? I know I'm a 10, but there's no need for the Minister to positively drool over me. Ah, I'm flattered," he said.