Chapter 2

The flight home was long and uneventful, mostly everyone sleeping because it was such an unfortunate hour to be awake. There were the few morning people, reading newspapers, just like the old man sitting next to me and I think he was happy to see that I wasn't going to disturb him anytime soon due to the exhaustion taking over. One layover later, I was on a smaller, louder plane, this time with crying children who wanted dinner and I was ready to scream at the parents to give them something, but apparently at that moment in time it was out of my control. The only sane girl was a girl named Al who was on her way home from London. Apparently she visited some big boy band that I'm not very familiar with. She said that they weren't that special.

When the plane touched solid ground and the seatbelt sign switched off, I don't think I ever moved so fast in my life. My bag was out of overhead storage and I shuffled down the aisle before people could even get out of their seats. Once the door opened and people were allowed to exit the cabin, I booked it out of there, probably faster than I ever moved. When I finally exited the gate, I saw my family standing there.

"Hey! There's our girl!" I heard my dad call and I weaved through the few people blocking my path until I finally released my bags and wrapped my arms around my parents.

"Hey guys," I said, pressing my chin right between both of their shoulders.

"Alright, alright, hand her over. Jeez, we get it, you love her, I want to hug my baby sister," I heard my brother say, pushing my parents back as he hugged me tightly.

"How you've been, kiddo? Chicago treating you well?" He asked, still hugging me.

"I've been doing really well and Chicago is great."

"It's nothing compared to Florida."

"We'll see about that." I released him, taking a step over to hug my sister. "How's New York?"

Eva's face lit up as she began to talk about New York animatedly, "It's awesome. I love how lively it is and the job is great. My apartment is a little tiny, but it's good."

"Don't complain about a tiny apartment when you're living in New York. I have to share a dorm room." My dad and brother took my bags as we headed out of the airport and into the dry, hot air.

"Tal, you're going to New York in a month," Dad said as we made our way to the car.

"So?"

"So you shouldn't be complaining about your dorm room now because you'll be sharing an apartment with Eva." My face lit up as I turned to my sister.

"I get to live with you?"

Eva shrugged. "Yeah, sure, if you don't already have a place to stay."

"I don't, but I am so excited now," I nearly squealed, while doing this little awkward hop.

We split into cars, the siblings in one and parents in the other. We all exchanged stories of what had happened in the past few months. My brother kept on shaking his knee and tapping his fingers against the steering wheel and Eva continued to raise an eyebrow at him, but said nothing.

"John... why are you so nervous?" I asked my brother, leaning over the back of his seat.

"I'll tell you when we get home," he said smiling and I just rolled my eyes and settled back into my seat. "Anyway, Eva, tell me. How's being an X-ray technician?"

"A lot of hard work, something you'd never understand," Eva said, never failing to make John feel like the dumb one of the family.

"Excuse me, being married is a lot of work. And I work plenty at the school. I teach P.E. remember?"