Chapter 20: The Hangover

Start from the beginning

He stiffened from your confession. Jealousy reared its ugly head and he opened his mouth to ask about the kiss, but your tears stopped him. Any anger he had for the man who'd kissed you and any jealousy he'd felt melted away and was soon replaced with empathy. You were just a kid compared to him. You were scared of the looming threat of All for One, unsure of how you were gonna adapt in this new stage of your life. You didn't have much life experience past high school. You'd never gotten to go partying, drink, all those things that made being an adult so 'special' for most people. It was his job now as your friend to help guide you through those experiences, since Saffron totally dropped that ball.

His stern face melted and he pulled you tighter to him. He used his large thumbs to wipe the tears from your cheek. Once your face was dry and gently patted your back as he thought of how to respond. "It's not entirely your fault. Yes, you should've shown more restraint with your drinking, but Saffron should've kept a better eye on you. And that man shouldn't have taken advantage of you, especially since he probably knew how drunk you were. I'm just glad Akemi was there to make sure he didn't take you home with him."

The thought of being kidnapped brought another set of fresh tears to your cheeks. "Yeah... I just thought he liked me. He said I was precious... no one had ever flirted with me before so I thought he was being genuine... I'm so stupid." The confession was more humiliating than anything, but you wanted to be honest.

"Don't say that about yourself!" Toshi protested, "You are precious! He's just a bastard. I should have him arrested for what he did..."

"You don't have to do that, Toshi. I should've known better."

"It just doesn't sit right with me. What if he does it to another girl? What if Akemi hadn't been there to help you? Do you remember his name? Or what he looks like?"

You searched your memory for his names, or even his face, but you couldn't remember much except his occupation. "He said he was a hero... named Train I think? Steam Train?" You anxiously fidgeted with your wrists, noticing the finger shaped bruises the man must've left on them when he tried to get you away from Akemi.

"I've heard of him. He's a new up and coming hero, trying to copy 'Ingenium'..." His sentence trailed off as he noticed your fidgeting. He gingerly picked one of your wrists up and inspected them. He'd seen those types of bruises before. He could automatically assume what happened, but he asked anyways. "What happened to your wrists?"

"Oh... uh... He must've done it when he was trying to drag me away." You admitted shamefully. You heard Toshinori grind his teeth together. He wouldn't look at you for a minute.

His first instinct was to hunt the man down and kill him, but he knew that was his anger talking, not him. Toshi could never hurt someone out of vengeance, let alone kill them. A hero wouldn't do that. He wouldn't do that. "He didn't touch you or hurt you anywhere else did he?"

"No... not that I know of..."

You felt him relax beneath you. "Alright... I'm just glad you're here safe. Promise me you won't go that hard again? At least... without better supervision?"

"Yeah, I promise."

He enveloped you in a big hug. "Good... and about All for one. Don't worry about him. You still have a lot of time to train and grow. I'll be right by your side the whole time. You can do this, there's nothing to fear."

"Thank you, Toshi...Speaking of, shouldn't we have been training already?"

"I figured you deserved one day off, but tomorrow we're gonna work twice as hard. You can't imagine how mad Gran Torino was when I told him you were sick and we wouldn't be doing any training today." He smiled and wiped the hair stuck to your sweaty forehead back with his hand.