Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Getting Things Started

I slowly opened my eyes as a notification went off. I had a small feeling that something was going to happen today. Then it hit me.

"Dang it! I fell asleep!" I yelled getting out of my desk chair. That's why I had a bad feeling. I fell asleep at my desk while I was working on that game theory report last night. All of a sudden my alarm for work went off. Shit. Now, what do I do?

Because I fell asleep prematurely, something bad is going to happen. Normally, I would remember the dream, but because I accidentally dozed off, I had to face the consequence, and not remember what was going to happen today. But knowing I fell asleep, something bad is going to happen. But what?

I turned off the alarm as I looked at my bed. I never really use it. It's always made up and always looked neat because of that.

I looked at the notification and got ready for work. I wore a simple f/c button down shirt, a black/grey tie, which is mandatory for every employee, a name tag that has my name and position, which is also mandatory, and black bottoms, which were required as well. At least they let me wear whatever shoe and any colour shirt that I want. As long as the shirt's a button down, and as long as the shoes aren't sneakers or flip flops, they don't care.

Then I took out the uniform I had to wear to the animal shelter. It's just a dark green shirt with the shelter's logo on it, long pants that I don't mind getting dirty, and non-slip shoes. I put it in a garment bag, and put that on my bed.

Afterwards, I took out the required outfit for the video game company. They have me wear a green/blue button down and a green and blue tie which looks like it has microchips on it. They never care what bottoms or shoes I wear as long as it looks professional, so I always wear the same shoes and bottoms I wear to the psychiatry office. I put that uniform in another garment bag and put it on my bed as well.

Friday, June 7, 2019, 4:58 am.                     2 new messages.

New messages? At four in the morning? It doesn't make sense. Out of everyone I know, I'm the only one who goes to work at five thirty in the morning.

I checked my messages, and then it all clicked. My ex, Aaren. He lives in England, and is five hours or so ahead of me. Now it makes sense.

We're still on good terms, and talk often, so I don't really call him my ex very often. It's even more awkward when people ask about us. When I say that I turned down his proposal, everyone often thinks that I was rude or something, and start to feel bad for him. But that's not it at all. I had to move away from England, and his job that he was working at the time couldn't cooperate if he wasn't in England. So I said no. He understood completely and said we could still be friends.

I looked down to see what he wrote, as I brushed my teeth.

Aaren♥♥: Hey Y/n

Aaren♥♥: Just wanted 2 make sure that u were up and didn't fall asleep on the best day of ur life.

Holy crap, I forgot about today! I can't let anything go wrong today. I don't care about that dumb feeling I had today. I'm going to try my best to make sure today goes well.

I should also probably take those hearts off of his name... Nah. I'm too lazy to do it right now. Plus, it's fine. It's not like it's important.

I texted him back to thank him. He might still be at work, but he normally keeps his phone on mute during meetings anyway, so It'll be fine if he's in one.

Y/n: hey, thx man
Y/n: I legit forgot about today

After I finished getting ready, I checked the time. Five o' seven. I should be thankful that most of my work clothes are mandatory. It's like picking out a uniform. Just have it all organized for the week. It makes it so much easier. I grabbed the garment bags for my other jobs, my work files for each job, and my phone, and walked over to the stairs.

As soon as I was downstairs I got my keys and wallet and put them in my pants/skirt pocket.

I walked into the garage and unlocked the car. Then I put my work stuff in the back of the car so it wouldn't get in the way. My briefcase with my computer and some other important work things in it was already in the car, so I was set to go.

I was about to put the key in, but I got a text.

Aaren♥♥: np N/n
Aaren♥♥: I figured u would forget
Aaren♥♥: ur so busy now... Just make sure ur there by 7 pm.

Seven? I should be able to make it. I mean, I get off work at the office at eleven for lunch break, I come back at twelve and my shift at the psychiatry office ends at one.

And since I'll be gone for a while, I said I'd help out at the shelter for my last week here. That starts at two and ends at three. 

Then I go to the gaming office for three hours to help out and get some last minute work and assignments while I'm off. That starts at three thirty. Then I head back to the psychiatry office at three forty-five and get the contact information for the clients so that I don't have to see them face to face while I'm gone and still be able to help them and give prescriptions. That ends at five twenty-six... for some reason.

That should give me... Twenty minutes to change, get my luggage, and eat something small. It takes me twenty more minutes to get to the airport, so by the time I get there it should be... Around six twentyish. Giving me a couple of minutes to relax. I should be able to make it on time.

Y/n: alright I can make it

Aaren♥♥: you just went through ur entire work schedule to see if u could. Didn't u?

Y/n: yeah... Hey, I can't help it if I'm busy... Plus I need something to keep me awake

Aaren♥♥: whatever u say... just don't work urself to death... I gotta go

Aaren♥♥: ltr

Y/n: yeah good luck today

Aaren♥♥: thx N/n

I put my phone on Bluetooth mode and went to Spotify. While I waited for it to load I turned the car on. My car automatically connected to Spotify, and I could pick what I wanted to listen to from the car instead of my phone.

I scrolled through for a bit and settled for the Be More Chill soundtrack. I pulled out of the garage as 'Jeremy's Theme' started playing. And like magic, 'More Than Survive' started as soon as I got on the road.  

If I know the soundtrack, and I do, if the traffic is good I should be at work by the time the 'More Than Survive Reprise' comes on.

This day is going to go well. It has to. But I guess I can't always control everything...   

--------------------

Word Count: 1256