Chapter 5

I was sitting in class, blankly staring at the wall in front of me. I blinked when I realized Aizawa was standing in front of the class, demanding everyone's attention.

"Good work on yesterday's battle training", he said. "I've looked over your grades and evaluations." He paused and looked in my direction, but then I realized he was looking at the person behind me. "Bakugo. Grow up already. Stop wasting your talent."

I had to hold back a snicker at the blunt remark.

"Got it", Bakugo huffed.

"...And Midoriya", Aizawa continued. "It seems you ended another day with a broken arm. Learn to control your quirk, because just trying isn't going to cut it." He paused and let out a small sigh. "I hate repeating myself. You do have potential, assuming you can overcome this. Work on it, Midoriya."

"Okay!", the broccoli boy answered. 

"Now, on to homeroom business", Aizawa said. "Sorry for the sudden announcement, but today you'll pick a class president."

I let out a relieved sigh.

No weird test today. Thank heavens.

I flinched when everyone started yelling at once, offering themselves as a candidate. I sort of wanted to be class president as well, since it was a good position. In normal schools, it was nothing special, but in the hero course, it meant leading a group, which was good preparation for becoming a hero. However, I didn't really think I would make a good class president. I was terrible at talking to people and socializing and I didn't feel like I could lead at all.

"Quiet down, everyone!", someone ordered.

I turned my head to the source of the voice and raised my eyebrows when I realized it was Iida.

"Leading the many is a task of heavy responsibility!", he said. "But ambition does not equate to ability. This sacred office demands the trust of its constituents." He paused and pushed his glasses further up his nose. "If this is to be a democracy, then I put forward the motion..." He abruptly raised his hand into the air and yelled: "that our true leader must be chosen by election!"

"This is just a classroom! Not congress!", someone commented.

I chuckled at the remark since Iida was, in fact, acting really serious.

"But Iida, we haven't known each other long enough to build any trust", Asui said.

"And everyone'll just vote for themselves!", Kirishima added.

"That's precisely why anyone who manages to earn multiple votes will be the best-suited individual for the job!", Iida responded. He turned around and looked at Aizawa, who was zipping himself up in his yellow sleeping bag. "Will you allow this, sensei?"

"However you do it, just make it quick", Aizawa replied.

And so we all voted. I hesitated on who to write down since I didn't feel like voting for myself.

As much as I'd like to believe I'd be a good class president, I know I won't be. It'd be best to vote for someone who's suited for it.

After giving it some thought I wrote down Iida since he was already good at coordinating the class. When everyone was shouting, he was able to silence them with a single remark.

"I got three votes?!", Midoriya exclaimed when the votes were counted.

"What the-!!", Bakugo spat. "Who the hell voted for Deku?!" 

"Guess we know it wasn't you", I smirked.

Bakugo shot me a death glare, which made me chuckle.

"One vote...", Iida said in a low tone as he leaned on a desk. "I thought as much, although I'm happy at least one person voted for me! This is the harsh reality of the sacred office..."