I wonder!

A/N: There would be characters and events in this story who are purely imaginary. Do not look for factual correctness of events.

*****

Draped in his favourite yellow silk robe Krishna sat on the foothills of Govardhan parvatha. The peacock feather that rested in his turban danced delicately as slight breeze randomly touched him.

It was this morning his Nand baba told him the truth of his birth and revealed his true parentage. He graciously accepted it with a smile and now preparations for him to depart to Dwaraka have begun.

He rested his back on the hill and looked up at the sky.

His mind spoke loud enough that the cuckoo's around gazed at him in silence. They were probably aware that these could be their last moments with him.

A five days old calf came running and stood beside him. He took its head between his arm and shoulder.

" You aren't named yet I suppose" he spoke looking at it's brown eyes.

" You are fair unlike me. So, I would like to name you Shweth. I hope your mother won't be offended that I have taken away her right of naming you" he spoke with a smile that spread across his lips.

" Let me tell you a story Shweth. I hope you are patient enough and won't mind" he asked the calf.

It rubbed it's head on his shoulder in acceptance.

He began reciting.

Far beyond rugged masses of land
they say is a deep wide ocean,
Evilness and tyranny reside at it's
banks is a wide spread notion.
A man and a woman
shackled by heavy chains
of iron lay dauntless.
Is it the air of the sea
Or the strength of their
spirit indomitable and fearless
that kept them alive
I wonder.

A child barely moments old
is snatched away
from his mother.
Does it happen often,
Or am I the sole one
privileged by this honour?

Brothers and sisters of mine
butchered like sheeps and goats
lay wrapped in a towel of blood
right before the eyes of their mother.

How could she breathe
the scent of fresh born corpses?
Couldn't grief and sorrow
engulf and drench her senses?
How did she tame these
demons disregarding their fame?

Do I have to travel to the sea to fetch the answers to these queries? I lay dubious and confused. I am sure the entire sea doesn't hold the capability to churn butter as sweet as that by my innocent mother. I am sure these cuckoos and nightingales that sing merrily all night wouldn't be able to travel beyond the outskirts further. These hillocks and animals will remain a dream for the residents of an expansive city. Do you think relationships are of any value to them? I am sure with every inch of myself that they aren't. Else a brother famed for his power shall never chain a sister into distress and agony. How would I address a woman I never saw as mother? Well, my heart bleeds by a mere thought of her. But, what about my Innocent mother whose day begins and ends with me? How do I tell her that I shall leave and may never come back?

*****
To be continued