Intertwined

I picked up the pen and opened my diary. I just cannot believe what happened. Today was finally the last day of my school life. That was it, I'm going to university. The pen was shaky. And I began to cry. I knew that I wanted to go to uni all my life, but know I wasn't so sure. I wanted to do so much more. I didn't want my life to be dictated by others.

***

The uni looked massive, intimidating. I didn't know what to expect, but I knew he was expecting me. Xavier, to whom I was bound to for eternity.  Wherever I went he went because...we shared a soul.

Let me explain, it all happened when I was born. At the time I was born he was dying and some unnatural, universal force connected our souls together to form one. Yes and it just had to be mine! Though having a half-soul had its perks and some not so perks. I had the ability to block out emotions, but nothing compared to....my power of compulsion. What Xavier and I shared was a result of the dark forces at work, it was twisted and un-humanly. He was guaranteed a place in Hell, because he was meant to die and yet he defied nature, he came back and now he was going to drag me with him.

I hurried to the large front doors looking out for him. I saw him leaning against the front hall, arms folded across his chest and a cigarette was placed between his fingers. I saw his dead black hair and his stunning green eyes. He wore a black shirt and dark jeans. It was so simple yet anything he made anything he wore looked magnificent.  It was him not his clothes, but he insisted on keeping the 'back-off' attitude and obnoxious and terrifying behaviour.

"Hi" I said not daring to meet his eyes; he blew a puff of smoke in my face.

"Your late" he said before chucking the cigarette butt on the floor. I followed him in.

The entrance was grand. The polished floor reflected the large pillars in the room. At the vast front desk was a woman in her mid thirties busy typing at a computer. Xavier began to make his way towards the front desk.

"Wait up..." I mumbled scurrying after him.

He swivelled on his black converse sneakers and turned to face me. I met his eyes once before my gaze fell to his shoes.

"Did I hear you say something sugar?" he asked

"No" I whispered

He put a hand on his ear "What was that? I'm sorry I can't hear you, say it to my face"

I looked up "No"

"That's right" he snickered.

I hated how he treated me, like I was an object. I was his insult bag, his slave. I loathed him but i was afraid.

***

At the end of the debate that had gone for about 2 months, Xavier and I had finally decided that we would do English Literature and Visual Arts. Literature was one of the things that we, strangely had in common, but taking up Visual Arts was not an easy thing to do. Because like I said, our soul was intertwined with 2 bodies and you can't separate us, we have to be together unfortunately. Trust me I've tried to escape from this bond and it wasn't a nice feeling. You feel hollow and so alone, you simply can't function properly. I couldn't talk, walk, or do anything; I was a body without a soul. I was stupid enough to try it once, but Xavier knew better not to. So anyways, we had a heated argument on the idea of Visual Arts. Xavier argued that it would hurt his manly pride in doing something so 'girly'. But in the end he agreed because he liked the prospect of doing drama.

So here I was going to visual arts class. I finally found the faculty of visual arts; I turned around to see if Xavier was following me. To my surprise he was not behind me, but through our bond I could sense he was close by. I sighed a sigh of relief.

I'll tell you know that finding class was not as easy as I thought. There were so many twisting and turning corridors and so many classrooms. It was like a maze. No joke. Luckily in the end i found my class with great difficulty. I pushed open the heavy doors of the classroom...to reveal a class full of guys and girls staring at me. Oh crap I was late and I had just interrupted it. I flushed to a crimson shade as the stares bore into me. I quickly averted my gaze to my lecturer.

She also was looking at me intently, with hands on her hips, clearly demanding an explanation from me.

I stood there dumbfounded, unable to think of what to say. Instead she said "Well get in already, what are you waiting for?"

I quickly scurried in, shutting the door behind. And then I suddenly thought of Xavier, he hadn't arrived yet and out of a random act of kindness, I spoke up "Umm, Miss my..." But wait what would I refer to Xavier as? My friend? He was anything but my friend. He hated my guts and my guts were, well just intimidated by him and scared as Hell.

"...my friend Xavier Christensen, he's a little late to class, but I'm sure he's going to come" I said.

"Xavier Christensen has already arrived to class" the lecturer said.

No way.

No freaking way.

He had tricked me, like he always did. I scanned across the sea of people, anger building up in me. And there I saw him, sitting in the back row. His face was smug and he looked acknowledgingly at me. I gave him my best death glare; it only seemed to lighten him up more. He waved his hand in the most exaggerated manner.

Furiously I shovelled through people seated in the middle row, to vacate the empty corner seat.

No wonder why I was so confused. No wonder why I kept seeing winding corridors. He had manipulated my brain in seeing those. After all that was his power. Manipulating minds. He knew how important today was to me, my fist day at university and he wanted to ruin it by giving me a bad first impression. And he had just accomplished that.