2.52 No Longer Waiting

Start from the beginning

Nevertheless, YuLan thought, if Ji lanBai could be reborn... . Surely Zuo ZhouLei would be as well?

Perhaps that was what Bian actually meant? That his soul would return to this world, hence he would still be here? She would not care if she ended up to be a hundred years older than her lover, but she had to see him again.

Therefore, YuLan waited. Even after Ji LanBai passed and moved on to god-knows-where she would be in her next life, YuLan waited.

The song turned to prayer, that soon turned to begging, then into a merely hopeless wish.

Her mind and spirit had weakened. Although she was physically fine, her soul was tired. She could not see her anchor, she could not find her shelter that she so dearly wished for. Despite however long she searched and waited for, the keeper of her heart never came.

Her peripheral vision caught a flash of purple, but she thought none of it as her fingers kept dancing on the strings.

The purple silhouette grew closer. YuLan faintly thought she had to look up, but swallowed her tiny hope. Too many times she had hallucinated and dreamt, too many times she found emptiness. Too many times she was too afraid to sleep, or even to meditate, because when she closed her eyes, he was everywhere.

Now, it seemed that her hallucinations had started to torment her even with her eyes open.

However, she suddenly stiffened as she felt her vision slightly darken by the hallucination's shadow. A pair of hands, with long elegant fingers attached to them, slowly reached forward. She looked at her own fingers on the strings, blankly looking without any particular cognition of what was happening. Then the pair of hands reached her own, gently holding both of her palms, the sensation of the touch as light and soft as a tiny snowflake.

Her eyelashes trembled. Her lips quivered as she chanted those prayer-like-words again,

"Just wish to be eternal like the universe... ."

"YuLan... . I am here." The voice was like a thunderbolt into the deepest part of her soul, but it was equally the most beautiful song, as was the most painful sensation. As if something inside her suddenly snapped. As if although she had resigned herself to be in the eternal cold darkness, warmth and light were suddenly granted.

Her previously unfocused deep brown orbs rippled as her sight was now locked onto that pair of hands. Then she slowly lifted her chin. It should have been such a mundane and thoughtless act, but even by doing that, there was fear that she would see no one as soon as she lifted her head fully.

That the palms that were holding onto hers would just crumble to dust.

"YuLan, I am here," he repeated slowly, carefully, soothingly. He released one of her palms and brought his hand to her right cheek, brushing her skin with the most tender touch. As if she would break if he just exerted the tiniest bit of pressure.

She finally looked up.

Thick dark eyebrows shaped like a saber; thin lips; the sharp outline of his jaws; his beautifully handsome face; framed with hair as dark as ink;

The only thing that was different were those eyes that shone the deepest azure colour, the depths of the ocean that could tempt one's soul, her soul, to be willingly lost.

She reached out her hand shakily towards the hallucination. The handsome face, that had been tormenting her dreams, grew closer as he also lightly pulled her towards him. The pair of lips touched her forehead.

"YuLan, I am here." The low whisper was once again repeated, pleading, assuring.

She blinked slowly. Her vision grew blurry. She blinked again, but somehow, it did not clarify her sight in the slightest.