three

Tess

I don't want to let go of him.

All I want right now is him. His hot, humid skin against mine, hands clutching me tight as I bury my face into the crook of his neck. My heart is slamming against my chest and I can barely breathe, but I don't care. I just want to hold him close and never let go.

"You're here," I croak, "You're real."

"Of course I am," he whispers in my ear, threading his fingers in the back of my hair. "I came as soon as I heard."

Fat tears roll down my cheeks.

"You did?"

"Took the first flight out. Barely had enough time to pack a bag."

"That explains why you smell like lumber," I laugh, inhaling another deep breath, "and motor oil."

Owen chuckles, resting his head on mine.

"I- I've missed you," he chokes. "I thought that you were-"

His fingers clench in my hair. Squeezing my eyes shut, a chill runs down my spine causing bumps to form on my arms. I bite my lip, closing my eyes and leaning further into him. I know what he's thinking, the thoughts crossing his mind in rapid fire. I know them because they're the exact ones going through mine on repeat for the last three years.

"I'm not."

"I know, but- I didn't know that. Not until-"

He unfolds his arms from around me and I sink back onto my feet. A pang fills my chest at the loss of contact even though we're still holding eachother close.

"It's okay," I cup both sides of his jaw, "I've thought them too."

There were many times I pictured it. Pictured him dead, stranded and alone, hurt, killed... None of them were true, I knew that, still there were times I entertained the thought... even if I didn't want to.

"I looked for you..." his voice shakes with uncertainty, "I scoured every surrounding island, had them search the water... I.. I couldn't find you."

Tears fill his eyes and my heart breaks.

"Hey-" I run my thumb under his eyes, wiping away the tears that escape. "It's okay, Owen. It's okay."

"No, it's not. I should've kept looking. I could've found you sooner and I wouldn't have... I wouldn't have lost you if I had just kept looking."

"You didn't lose me."

His lower lip trembles as he pulls me back into his arms, burying his face into my hair. Carefully I wrap my arms around his neck, brushing my fingers across his nape. He's tense, but with every calm stroke he deflates in my arms.

"It wasn't enough."

"Don't beat yourself up." I whisper into his ear, running a careful finger along the curve of it. "Please."

He squeezes me close, fingers rubbing soothing circles into the small of my back. Even though it's been years since we've seen each other, held each other, he still holds me the way he used to on the bad days. My heart swells.

"I'm here." I reassure softly. "I'm okay."

Owen takes a deep breath, pulling away to look at me. His eyes are so bright yet so murky, like grass after it rains. Shiny and wet, rich in color, just a little muddled from the mud. It's comforting.

"I know that now." He shakes his head, tracing the edge of my hand as he grabs it.

I smile, resting my forehead against his.