The Devil And Cake

Comincia dall'inizio

»Ma chérie, we all wear masks, and sometimes it just take time for a person to reveal true self to another. For example, Nietzsche,« she said, placing the cigarette in an ashtray. »he is famous for being a philosopher who said the words: God is dead. So everyone called him Antichrist,« she rolled her blue eyes, slapping the wooden desk next to her. »He was supposedly a ruthless man who showed no mercy, yet the same man once wrote to me in a letter; from which stars have we fallen to meet each other here?«

I sighed in despair and enchantment over the spoken words. »I get what you're trying to say, but, at the end of the day, he truly is the Devil

We moved towards the big oak table, display of which was mouthwatering. Silver plates were packed with croissants, bagels and other sweet pastry. On the side were three jars of marmalade; strawberry, blueberry and apricot. I grabbed one of the croissants with my hungry hands and smeared it with sticky, purple marmalade and took a huge bite.

Never in my life had pastry tasted so heavenly.

Salome laughed at me again, obviously dazzled by my face, sticky with something purple. I sat down and dipped the spoon into apricot and strawberry as well, creating my own version of fruit salad.

»You know,« she said. »he does have a soft spot for sweets.«

»I've notichred,« My mouth was full, so I decided to swallow the chunks of food rather than to spit them out. »Why is that?«

»I'm not sure,« she took a small bite of a cookie. »I think it reminds him of good feelings. He doesn't like to feel that other stuff, but sweets are uncomplicated and filled with happy memories.«

I recalled the day he turned human in front of me for the first time, because he wanted to taste one of my mom's lemon cupcakes. His guilty pleasure.

»I've never seen him staying human for so long,« Salome said as she had just read my mind. »he must've found something sweet about you.«

She pulled another plate from the end of the table, the one I didn't notice at first because my face was buried in food. Cakes. The plate was filled with pieces of cakes. Creamy ones, strawberry ones, chocolate ones, walnut ones...it was like an orgy of desserts. »I know for a fact that he could never resist this one,« Her finger pointed towards a white, creamy cake with two layers of chocolate and half of a strawberry on top.

»What can I say,« a male voice snickered from behind. »when in Paris,« Lucifer's lips tucked into half smile. I suspected not only that he loved desserts, but also that he found enjoyment in creeping out of the shadows. He took the strawberry and put it in his mouth, while finding the time to cock an eyebrow at me.

He was wearing the same black blazer from last night, which only emphasized the bronze in his hair. With no words he sat next to me, eating his guilty pleasure. Salome pushed a small plate with a piece of cake in front of me, and I must say, I never turn down cake.

It was weird how the delicate taste exploded on my tongue, slowly waking up the feelings that were stirring inside of me from last night. Suddenly Lucifer's skin of an ancient god felt so close, and his lips, oh how I wanted to taste those lips again.

Hot. It felt hot inside my head.

For some reason I felt obliged to squeeze Lucifer's face with my hand. His shocked expression was just adorable. »You inspire my inner serial killer.« I blinked at him.

Lucifer grabbed my wrist and smelled the cake on my plate. »Salome, what kind of cake is this?«

»Um, rum cake, why?«

Oh, crap. That explains the voices in my head.

Lucifer narrowed his eyes at me, still holding my wrist since I tried to squish his face again. »She does not tolerate alcohol. Trust me.«

»Hey,« I whispered. »Lucy, I can't think of anyone else I'd rather survive a zombie apocalypse with.«

I heard Salome's laugh and Lucifer's unimpressed expression.

»If you were a chicken,« I said seductively. »you'd be impeccable.«

»You are drunk.« Lucifer stood up, pushing me back on my seat as I tried to stand up too.

»I'm not drunk, Lucy,« I said. »I'm just intoxicated by you.« With a swift movement I grabbed his belt, pulled him towards me, and then bit him in the tender flesh above. He tasted salty, but for some reason I really enjoyed that.

Lucifer gripped my chin and my wrist again, pushing me back on my seat.

»Can you babysit, I need to inquire about the thing?« He asked Salome.

»Actually, I have a pretty important meeting myself, also about the thing

»Fuck.« His eyes pierced mine with thoughts of punishments. Brown in them became brass, than flickering crimson. »I guess I have no choice,« His strong hands effortlessly pulled me towards him, reacquainting me with the heat his body evaporated. My heart beat in its own rhythm.

Luc.

Luc.

Luc, it said. Luc.

»I will just have to take you with me.« His lips crashed on mine, burning their kiss into them. There was raw fire in that man, and it sipped out through every nook and cranny of his body it found. A new star exploded in-between us, and once again, I blacked-out.