Scars

The black thread slips in and out of Kyouka's pale skin, slowly closing the wound. The silver needle leaves little drops of blood, like stars in the night sky. But it is not beautiful like the night sky. No, to Yosano, it is just a bloody mess.

The doctor pulls the string taut, wincing in sympathy. But the unconcious girl does not move. She is too lost in her fainting sleep.

Tying off the thread, Yosano tucks away her supplies. That was the last wound. Well, the last physical wound, that is.

Kyouka's heart bears too many scars to count.

The doctor's heart tugs, and a tear slips down her cheek. The girl is so young, so small. Is the world so cruel to have done this?

But you were young too. The voice whispers in her head.

Of course, that is true. But that does not make it fair.

Fair. Yosano scoffs. Is any of this fair? Is it fair that Atsushi's back is covered in scars, borne from the angry red welts of a poker? Is it fair that Yosano witnessed the ghosts of war? Is it fair that Lucy has suffered to greatly to tell fiction from reality?

No. But the world is not fair.

But Death is fair, Yosano realizes. Death takes without bias. Without envy, greed, or hate. No, Death simply takes.

Except that Yosano has cheated him. She has healed those who are knocking at his door, simpy for her own benefit.

Perhaps she is selfish. And perhaps she is unfair. But she is only human.

And she does not regret saving the souls of those she loves. She only wishes that life was as fair as Death.

Again, Yosano's gaze falls on Kyouka.

Perhaps the young girl before her is afraid. Afraid of life, though just as scared of death. Perhaps she is not quite living, only a ghost of a girl.

Perhaps she does not yet know the truth that Yosano has come to accept.

Death is fair.