Lifeboat

**Trigger warning: Suicidal thoughts**

 The wind whips Kyouka's hair, pulling thin ribbons of purple form her ponytails. The breeze sends ripples across the top of the water, ruining her reflection.

It seems that everywhere in the city, storm clouds gather, intent on destruction. They send wave after wave of pain, drowning her heart. But here, by the river, it is safe. There is no one around. She has found a lifeboat it the stormy seas.

Yet, still, the ghosts whisper. How easy would it be? To jump in, to feel the cold embrace of the river, to let the icy fingers wrap around her neck. To let the water fill her lungs and ease her pain.

No, Kyouka does not fear death. She welcomes it.

She used to be scared of it. It was the black, hulking monster that followed her around. Her shadow. Her Demon.

But now she knows better. Hell is not a pit of fire, of heat.

No, Hell is the icy river bottom. Hell is the cold embrace of ice and snow.

The river calls to Kyouka, tempting her mind, pulling her heart. Would they miss her, if she gave in to the water? No. They are better off without her.

Again and again, the river tempts her. It is a mother, calling her child in for dinner. It is safety. It is relief.

How easy would it be, if she could just let go? Let go of the pain, the suffering, the memories that haunt her dreams. The whispers of ghosts that beckon to her a night. The boney white fingers that point at her, that blame her. But they are right.

Kyouka is not a person. Kyouka is not a friend. Kyouka is a demon, clothed in snow, bathed in winter, armed with ice.

And Kyouka must pay.

Come home. You will be safe. You will be loved. You will become yourself.

And Kyouka believes the river. She would not lie to the purple-haired demon, to her daughter.

The light will shrivel you, will break your soul. You are not a star, you are not the sun. You are the moon, the night, the cold embrace of death. Why deny it?

No, Kyouka knows what she is. She will not hide in the light anymore.

She is coming home.

But, Kyouka stops.

She will not give in today.

Soon. She promises. Soon.

And the ghost of a girl walks away.