“Violent tendencies? Just because he got into fights at the beginning of the year doesn’t mean he has violent tendencies,” I defended him.

            “I know that, but most people don’t really see the two of you together like I do. They judge you two by what they think they see.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I almost forgot how judgmental people are. I guess most people think I’m a horrible person because I pushed Adam away, don’t they?”

            “They might have, but Adam won’t let them. He’s always defended you, no matter what. He holds no resentment towards you and I think he’s actually glad that you have Chase to talk to.”

            I nodded thoughtfully. “He said as much to me when I last talked to him. I’m glad he doesn’t hold a grudge against me; he really is a great guy. We just aren’t meant to be more than friends now.”

            “Did you know that he’s started seeing someone else?”

            “No, I didn’t know. Who is it?”

            Cindy made a face. “Chantal Bridges.”

            I wrinkled my nose. “Ugh, he could do so much better than that. What does he see in her?”

            “What every guy sees in her. A big chest and very little brains. The ideal woman,” Cindy replied dryly. “I don’t think he’s really serious about her, but he is a teenage boy, and we both know that they aren’t always the smartest people around.”

            “I would try and talk some sense into him if it wouldn’t be weird,” I said. “But somehow I don’t think getting advice from an ex-girlfriend would do any good.”

            She laughed. “You’re probably right. At least she’s a fairly nice girl.” She took another sip of her hot chocolate. “You know, this is kind of nice.”

            I knew she wasn’t referring to her beverage. “I know. Thanks for not giving up on me.”

            “You’re my best friend, Dana. There was no way in hell I was going to let anything change that.”

            “I’m glad. So, tell me about your love life.”

            It was her turn to roll her eyes. “It’s non-existent. I haven’t found anyone who interests me yet.”

            “What about that guy from the horse shows last year? I think his name was Kyle.”

            She shrugged. “Nothing ever came of it. We talked a few times, but I think he was interested in one of the other girls. You know what it’s like for guys on the show circuit; the women majorly outnumber them. They can pick whoever they want.”