Chapter 2

Hollow.

            That was the first feeling I became aware of. The first was severe pain in my left leg. I struggled to open my eyes, but I couldn’t focus enough to manage it. I groaned quietly and then became aware of someone squeezing my hand. Using that as a focal point, I finally managed to pry one of my eyelids open slowly.            

            All I could see was white. I forced my other eye open and I realized that it was a white ceiling. I knew this wasn’t my room, but I couldn’t concentrate long enough to try and figure out where I was. With a sigh, I closed my eyes once more.

            When I woke up the next time, my mind felt clearer, but I still felt hollow. My eyes opened with little effort this time and I was able to see that I was in a hospital room. I had an IV in my left hand and there were machines all around me.

            Movement to my right side had me slowly turning my head in that direction. I saw my parents, Cindy and Adam all standing beside my bed, with a mixture of relief and concern on all their faces.

            I opened my mouth to say something and that’s when I realized there was a tube in my throat. I panicked and tried to rip it out, but my dad and Adam quickly restrained me as a doctor walked in.              

            “Hello Dana, I’m Dr. Green. I know you’re probably confused right now, but don’t try and talk until we remove the tube from your throat.”

            I nodded and waited while a nurse came in. They removed the tube from my throat and adjusted my bed so that I was sitting up more. Cindy and my mother moved closer so that they were standing next to Adam and my dad. I looked at my parents. “What…” That’s all I got out before I started coughing again.

            My dad quickly poured a glass of water and handed it to me. I sipped it gratefully. “What happened?” I managed to croak out.

            “There was an accident on the way back from the show. Do you remember?”

            The memories flooded back and I squeezed my eyes shut tightly. I remembered the sounds of crashing metal, the blinding light as a vehicle hit us head on. I remembered the look in Luke’s eyes as he met my gaze a split second before we were hit. My eyes flew open and I looked at my dad. “Luke?”

            The grief on his face told me everything before he spoke. “He didn’t make it.”

            My eyes rolled back into my head and I fainted before he even finished speaking.

            “Dana, it’s time for you to wake up now. Open your eyes sweetie.”

            The voice was slightly desperate, so I fought to the surface of the fog that had enveloped me. I opened my eyes to see my dad standing over me. As soon as I saw him, I remembered that Luke was gone and tears flooded my eyes. My dad tried to hug me, but I pushed him away, ignoring the hurt look on his face.