31. Rescue

Lucien ignored the pain as he followed a guard down the narrow passages through the cedar prison. The air grew stagnant and moldy as they moved further inside its walls. The heavy dampness in the air clung to him. Concern for Bronte mounted as he neared the cell door. He stood impatiently as the guard fumbled with the keys, finally turning the lock and pushing the door open. Lucien rushed past him and almost stepped on Bronte, lying on the floor, as his eyes tried to focus in the darkness. She cried out in her sleep

"Don't leave me," she pleaded hoarsely.

"I'm here, shshshhh," he crooned as he knelt and gathered her into his arms. "I'm here."

Her skin was cold and clammy and her breath came in shallow rasps. As Bronte's weight pressed against Lucien's ribs a wave of nauseousness and pain coursed through him, but nothing would make him release her now.

He never would again, if he could help it.

The guard led the way out of the passage carrying only a small torch. Moaning and coughing filled the prison, covering any noise made by their exit. As Lucien carried his burden, he stumbled on a large uneven crack in the floor and caught himself by leaning on a prison door. His face brushed against the slimy steel grate momentarily. As he tried to right himself, he found a hand had reached through the bars and clasped firmly to his collar. He jerked his coat free and gathered Bronte's weight more firmly against him, but before he took a step, he stopped short as someone called his name.

"Bellemare! Dr. Bellemare!" the voice whispered.

"Who's there? How do you know me?" he asked apprehensively. To be recognized here was about the worst thing he could imagine going wrong. It wasn't only himself in danger, but Bronte as well.

"It's Sam!"

Lucien breathed a loud sigh in relief. Sam posed no danger.

"You gotta get me outta here!" His face pressed against the bars, and even in the dim light, you could see his unease.

Sam's gaze flicked to the still, heavy burden Lucien carried, and the fear for his friend filling his eyes couldn't be denied. "Bronte isn't ...." his voice died off, the thought too terrible to put into words.

"I'm taking her to my father's estate. There I can treat her and ensure her safety."

There was a brief pause as Sam absorbed this information. "Take me with you. Please, you can't leave me here!" His voice held a trace of desperation.

Lucien shifted Bronte's weight again and let out an involuntary groan as pain shot through his chest. He called to the guard. "Unlock this man as well. He's coming with me," he ordered quietly.

"He weren't parta the deal," the guard said stonily. He looked into Lucien's face as if trying to convey a message.

Lucien understood. He wanted more money. It'd taken half his money to get the guard to say Bronte Farrow died on his watch and he'd thrown the body into the lime pits. "I'll double your payment." Lucien kept his voice low so only the guard could hear him.

The guard seemed pleased with the offer but added, "I can't say this one died as well. It'd be suspicious. He'll be an escapee. I can't guarantee his safety if he stays on the island."

Lucien gritted his teeth. Things had become such a mess. He jerked his head toward the door. It was too late to change anything now.

The keys clattered against each other as the guard rattled the lock and jerked open the door. Sam wasted no time vacating the cell, squeezing his body through the door before it fully opened, as if he feared the guard might change his mind.