scandal ; oh, what lives we live.

This couldn’t be happening.

This shouldn’t be happening.

I knew that this could potentially get us all expelled, and yet I didn’t do anything to stop it. I didn’t do anything to stop them from doing something they would surely regret for the rest of their lives. It was as if there were invisible ropes binding me. They were keeping me immobilized in this position, helpless and terrified for our lives.

Well, at least my life. Cara Smith and the rest of the students I had been hanging out with for the past few months had their lives protected by lawyers, insurance, and money. If someone ended up catching us, their lives would be in good shape, as opposed to mine. My life, on the other hand, would be kicked back to square one.

All that I had worked for, all that mattered to me, would be gone faster than you could say “knock off”. The scenario played in my head with a little too much detail for my liking. First of all, I would be sent back to my room to pack my stuff. Cold, disapproving eyes would watch me and whispering voices would spread rumors that were as far away as you could get from the truth. I would toss and turn during the night, getting no more than an hour’s worth of sleep.

The next morning someone would be there to collect my luggage and place it on the limousine that would take me to airport. I would hang my head in embarrassment as I walked one last time through the grand hallways of the school. Someone would wait with me until my plane arrived, and once it got there I would be off.

I would be on my way back to my small little hometown, Crest Valley, in the middle of nowhere. Well, if you considered Utah as nowhere. I sighed, hoping that this wouldn’t be what happened. Preferably we would escape the school grounds before someone would realize our absence and call security.

Hate took over my body as I thought of whom that someone would be that turned us in. Most likely it would be Amy Schueler, my sullen roommate. I hadn’t realized that a grimace had spread across my face until Clay snuck up behind me and whispered in my ear.

“Katy-kins, turn that frown upside down,” he said seductively, “We’re almost to freedom.” Clay grinned, causing his dimples to show. His light brown hair was styled into a hair due that was part wild and part handsome. It looked like he had just stepped off the set of a photo shoot for Vogue.

I rolled my eyes at Clay’s words, but the truth of it hit me. We were almost to freedom. That was, if your definition of freedom was spiked food, beer, and beautiful, drunk people. I smiled. This was my first night as a true Luxton insider. I hoped it wouldn’t be the last, too.

I could feel Cara’s stunning green eyes on me as she watched my reaction to Clay’s closeness. Her head moved slightly, nodding in approval as I smiled. In her eyes, there was a certain look that told me tonight was a night to let go. To loosen my grip altogether on reality and not question anything that happened in the next few hours of my life.

I took a deep breath of the cool, crisp evening air. Cara was right once again. When was she ever wrong? I couldn’t think of any examples. I glanced over at her, hoping to catch her eye. Unfortunately, Cara’s attention was directed somewhere else.

Her brown, carefully gelled curls shook as Cara tilted her head back and laughed at something Lincoln had said. Following her lead, I turned to look at Clay. “Okay,” I said, willing my voice not to give away my nervousness. It didn’t. “Until further notice, I’m no longer Katelyn Loucks. I’m just Kate, the new girl in town.” My smile grew wider.

“That’s more like it,” Clay replied thoughtfully, brushing a strand of my brunette hair behind my ear. “Does this Kate have a boyfriend?”

I giggled, already feeling high. “Not if you don’t want her too.”

“Well, I don’t.”

“Good.”

And with that, I leaned forward and kissed his soft chapped lips. It was as if that fateful kiss sealed the deal. This was it. I was in this until I died. No going back now. My ropes were severed, my ties broken. I was free. At least, that’s what I thought.

note: okay, people. (: i can't decide whether to continue this story or not. it is very cliche and expected so far, but i really wanted to do this. comment on this if you feel like i should go on! thanks, time. c;