Chapter 22: A Sunagakure Welcome

Bắt đầu từ đầu

And, he thought, glancing up at the kunoichi in front of him, he had believed he would be coming alone to take the brunt of Gaara's judgement. Instead, Sakura was accompanying him there and would be a witness to the consequences of his past actions. Sasuke supposed that this was the part he was dreading.

What made things even more irritating was the fact that Sakura walked with ease through the stucco houses along the path towards the core of the village. Even a few of the citizens and shinobi that lingered to watch them pass, raised their hand in greeting when the familiar pink-haired medic smiled in their direction. This made Sasuke even more hesitant. Unlike himself, she was so welcome and treated with respect and friendliness. In sharp contrast, Sasuke received various looks of confusion, fear, and distrust. Just like in the Leaf Village.

It was how it should be, Sasuke thought. Sakura was so in-place and the Uchiha was so out-of-place.

It was at this point that Sakura fell back to walk beside him. She smiled and quickly grazed his fingertips with her own. It was so fast that Sasuke wasn't sure it had been on purpose. He gave her his best reprimanding scowl anyway. He wished she would stop doing that already. Sakura giggled. Sasuke noticed that some of looks he was receiving changed instantaneously when she neared him with such playfulness. Sasuke realized then what it was that she was doing; he was grateful.

"They know you." He said it at the same time that he made the connection. Sakura had told him on the way here about her involvement in the Kazekage's rescue. Not only this, but she had defeated one of the Sand's most notorious criminals while working closely with the village's highly revered puppet master, Lady Chiyo. Sasuke had something of an epiphany as he gazed at the woman. He was being reminded again of how Sakura, too, had made a mark on the world, all while Sasuke simultaneously built another sort of reputation for himself. How odd to think about how they did "balance" each other somewhat perfectly. Who else, other than a medical proficient that saved lives, to undo the damage of someone who had taken them. Only a hero could walk beside a criminal and make the world see them in a different light.

Sakura's answer broke this train of thought. "A few of them do," she responded, turning to those ninja and waving back at them.

When they finally made it through the maze of buildings and reached the 風labeled heart of the village, it only took a few seconds more before they were brought before the round table of the Suna council. At the same time that she and Sasuke were being escorted in by Kankuro, Sakura released a sigh of relief as the council members stood to make their way out of the spherical room. Gaara remained seated at the table even though a few of his advisors halted when they saw the faces of the new arrivals. Gaara gestured for them to leave once more, and the murmuring men dismissed themselves hesitantly.

The Kazekage stood after they were gone and motioned for the two of them to sit. After bowing, they did so politely, claiming the two seats directly in front of Gaara. Kankuro moved to Gaara's direct right, standing formally behind his leader. Sakura couldn't help but notice how quickly Sasuke fell into his emotionless persona, avoiding the Kazekage's direct gaze, and placing one arm casually on the table in front of him. In response, the Kazekage eyed him blankly for a second and then directed all conversation in herdirection.

"Welcome to Sunagakure," he said formally.

"Thank you," Sakura smiled in response, gratefully clasping the refreshment that was placed down in front of her by a servant she hadn't noticed enter from an alcove behind her. "We are grateful for the escort you sent to retrieve us. You didn't need to go to the trouble."

The Kazekage shared a brief glance with Kankuro at the statement, and Sakura realized that there was a silent non-verbal exchange of thought between siblings. Kankuro decided to clarify then, the Kazekage leaving it to his brother to explain.