Gypsy's Lullaby Part eight

Gypsy's lullaby

Chapter eight

"You were close there weren't you?" She slipped the words out towards the furry beast in a hissing tone. As she spoke the shield slowly started to fade away. "I told you, you will never get your hands on this child. I made her mother a promise and for the rest of this child's life, that promise will never be broken. Luana, we are leaving."

"You think you are going to leave here just like that gypsy witch?!"

“Why yes, yes I think I am.”

“Foolish gypsy whore, who do you think you’re talking to?”

Adela let out a hard laugh and turned her back to the enraged animal, making her way over to me. She grabbed on my arm pulling me in the direction of the parking lot as I continued to keep my eyes on the wolf. I was not insane, that wolf really did speak. It spoke right out loud to us. I could tell from its eyes that the more we walked away, the angrier it got. A sudden growl caught my attention from behind the beast as the brown wolf from before appeared from behind a few bushes. The black wolf quickly turned around as they stared each other down. Adela had turned to look as she saw it and let a small grin creep up on her lips.

“Come on Luana…” She began. “We are getting out of here.”

Finally making our way into the parking lot, Jade has jump at me, hugging my body tightly as she starting going on about what just happened. I couldn’t believe that she had left me. My best friend had left me to defend myself against a wolf the size of a bear. She uttered her apologies as I sat down on the curb. Jade had sat down right next to me as Adela turned to the both of us with her hands on her hips.

“What the hell were you thinking? Didn’t I tell you to specifically tell you not to go into the woods?” She demanded answers to her questions.

“Well what the hell is with a gypsy being on the news?” I questioned back.

She took a second to realize what I was talking about as she sighed.” You know gypsies are not as popular as they use to be. I have to eat off something, don’t I?

Jade and I looked toward each other trying to find the response to that. Seeing as we had none we looked back and shrugged. We both said sorry as she huffed. We stood up as she walked to the back of the parking lot, checking back every few seconds to make sure that we were still following her. With a small wave of her hand, the wind picked up and a small rip appeared in the air. The light was slightly blinding at first but after a few seconds it died down allowing me to see a green valley on the other side. The same tent in the far background where I had been before was sitting in the same spot I saw it last. She nodded her head towards the hole telling me to get in as she looked toward Jade. Jade gave her a look as if saying that she didn’t care what Adela told her she was coming with. Adela must not have cared to argue as she nodded pushing us both through the hole.

As I jumped inside the same familiar scenery of the green valley, the wind blew my hair in all directions. Jade had ran right past me, running around in circles screaming. “OH MY GOD! Look at this place! It looks like an actual valley.”

“It is an actual valley Jade. “ I stated. “This is where she brought me the last time. Remember when I told you about it this morning?”

Adela has pushed me a little as I turned to see that the hole she created was already gone. Now the only thing shown in that direction was the green forest that surrounded the valley in all directions. A quick shimmer of light caught my eye as I turned my head slightly in confusion as I squinted to look harder. Approaching me was something big, big and fast. As it got closer, the shape of the object seemed to form in my eyes telling me it was a dog. The brown color seemed to radiate from the sun beating down on its fur. Wait…big, fast, dog? That wasn’t a dog at all. It was a wolf!

I quickly turned to Adela as she merely smiled. Panic started to rush into my mind while the sweat from my hands made it hard to grasp them together. Turning my head, I noticed that the wolf was closing in quick and I had to make my move then and there. If it wasn’t now it would be never.

I worked up the courage in my body to turn and push myself away, running in the opposite direction of my carnivorous pursuer. What was Adela thinking? Was she really going to let this wolf kill me? It didn’t take long for me to hear the panting of a wild beast behind me as I felt myself being pushed over; hot fur colliding with my back as I fell face first into the grass. I curled up into a ball pulling my hands over my head waiting for the pain of being bitten and scratched from this large animal.  A cold wet nose made my eyes widen in surprise to find I was still in one piece while this brown wolf had continued to sniff all over my body. What was going on?

“Luana.”

A voice came out of the lip locked canine as I looked closer to it. It whined again in my direction pressing its wet nose against my cheek.

“Luana…my baby girl Luana!”